Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Does anyone know for SURE if the POR-15 or Kreem is available through a parts house or are they only something one can get online? I really want it TODAY and not 10 days from now if you know what I mean. Any help would be great.

Peace :beerchug:

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks to me to be a seam leak (could be mistaken, never had a leaking tank before) Heading out to Napa then. thnx

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love it.... I popped into NAPA and asked them if they have any type of poor in tank sealant and I got the deer in headlights look, TWICE from two different stores...lol. What a PITA.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Seems to me if you poured in a tank sealant, it could easily end up sealing your carb and engine up as well. You might have to take the tank off and seal it properly. I agree, what a PITA!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
i was thinking of their epoxy
but a pur in bladder would be better take rick's idea though and remove the tank first...you might also check with some radiator shops in the area..they use the same stuff to fix the tanks on radiators

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah after a while some sealants have been known to break apart and gum up ones carbs. Kreem is one of them but I havent heard any neg. on the POR-15. Oh well, I wound up glopping a bunch of JB weld on the effected area in hopes that might solve my issue for now. When I am ready to repaint I will have it welded up. Unless I find a used tank for cheap.....hint hint nudge nudge...lol

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Yeah after a while some sealants have been known to break apart and gum up ones carbs. Kreem is one of them but I havent heard any neg. on the POR-15. Oh well, I wound up glopping a bunch of JB weld on the effected area in hopes that might solve my issue for now. When I am ready to repaint I will have it welded up. Unless I find a used tank for cheap.....hint hint nudge nudge...lol

Know you've already done the JB Weld thing and hope it lasts for you. If it starts leaking again you might try NAPA's gas tank repair putty. Just like Magic Putty "as seen on TV" but is grey/black and made for gas tanks (fuel proof, etc.) (actually fool proof as well, which is why it was made for me!). Just knead it and press into place. Hardens in five minutes, cures totally in four hours, and can be used on a wet (w/ fuel) tank. $3.99 per stick is cheap insurance in case it starts leaking again while you're out riding. Not a pretty solution but it sure worked on mine (my leak was underneath inside seam).

Oh...and when you do find a cheap, no-rust, no-dents, used tank, get two and I'll buy one off you. Good luck with that!!!

Hope this helps.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Know you've already done the JB Weld thing and hope it lasts for you. If it starts leaking again you might try NAPA's gas tank repair putty. Just like Magic Putty "as seen on TV" but is made for gas tanks (fuel proof, etc.) (actually fool proof as well, which is why it was made for me!). Just knead it and press into place. Hardens in five minutes, cures totally in four hours, and can be used on a wet (w/ fuel) tank. $3.99 per stick is cheap insurance in case it starts leaking again while you're out riding. Not a pretty solution but it sure worked on mine (my leak was underneath inside seam).

Oh...and when you do find a cheap, no-rust, no-dents, used tank, get two and I'll buy one off you. Good luck with that!!!

Hope this helps.
Thats the stuff i was thinking of

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Thats the stuff i was thinking of
Hey Slim! Yeah...it's a decent fix for those of us on a budget! By the time it wears out, hopefully I can but that new tank!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This site rocks. I took my bike in to have it tuned, etc. Shop says I have a small leak and that I would have to replace the tank. BUT, in reading this post, it seems I can buy some form of tank sealer, pop the tank off (hope it's not rocket science - I am a decent car mechanic - bikes are a different animal.) and apply said sealant to tank, rather than buying a new one.

Am I mistaken or otherwise misinformed?

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used JB weld myself and it sealed it up nicely (for now anyways). As for taking the tank off its simple, just the two fuel lines and vent hose connected to the petcock along with the two bolts one on each side of the tank and one underneath the seat at the rear of the tank. As for the shop telling you that you "Have" to buy a new tank is B.S. these tanks can be welded on as long as you drain the fuel and flush it properly then without any worries a light weld to the area that needs it and wahla your in business.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to locate my leak by it desolved the paint underneath so it was easy to see where I needed to watch to find the EXACT location of the leak. If your paint isnt pealing then try running your finger around the tank till you get em wet with gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts