Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally keep the moto on a battery tender, although it might be a "jr battery tender" - light is green, you would think moto would crank - nothing else drawing off the battery - the lights are flickering - seems like it's not getting enough juice - gonna try to crank it again at lunchtime - might jump it -
are there fuses, or something i should be checking? it just sputters, - choke on, fuel in the tank, petcock on reserve and kill switch "on" - temp was about 60 degrees this morning.

I think I may sell this thing once it's cranking - I just don't seem to have very good luck with carburetor motorcycles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Generally keep the moto on a battery tender, although it might be a "jr battery tender" - light is green, you would think moto would crank - nothing else drawing off the battery - the lights are flickering - seems like it's not getting enough juice - gonna try to crank it again at lunchtime - might jump it -
are there fuses, or something i should be checking? it just sputters, - choke on, fuel in the tank, petcock on reserve and kill switch "on" - temp was about 60 degrees this morning.

I think I may sell this thing once it's cranking - I just don't seem to have very good luck with carburetor motorcycles.
how old is the battery? an old crusty battery, even on a tender, is likely to fail.

·
Registered
775 Posts
ya, try jumping it over with a car battery (DO NOT have the car running when you do this)

that'll let you know right quick in a hurry whether your battery is the culprit

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
"I just don't seem to have very good luck with carburetor motorcycles" I wouldn't own or ride anything BUT a carbureted motorcycle. They are the best, and cheap and easy to diagnose problems and work on. EFI is an expensive nightmare. It's only there to satisfy the EPA. I bought a new 2013 Royal Enfield Bullet with EFI. The $500 electric fuel pump failed in about 2 months. I replaced it with an Amal carb with a carb conversion kit. It ran a LOT better, has more power, much better throttle response. It was choking and wheezing with the EFI. The carb richened up the air/fuel mixture considerably. It now has a nice throaty sound. The whole conversion kit including the carb was $100 cheaper than a new fuel pump, including shipping from the UK.

It sounds like you have an electrical problem not a carburetor issue. Either a bad battery or a bad charging system, or both. Hopefully not a stator. I have 6 bikes (running) and a couple of parts bikes. I keep battery tenders on all of them. One word of caution. Do not start the engine with the battery tender connected. It can damage the tender. I used Battery Tender Jr.s for years, and ruined 2 of them doing that. I replaced them with these. https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...attery-maintainer/613874_0_0?&searchText=dl2d These are both a 2 amp charger and a maintainer, and they have worked very well for a couple of years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moto cranked right up at lunchtime - about 72degrees - did nothing different than this morning - bleh

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
AGM or acid filled battery?

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's a 1 month old AGM battery - i think what frustrates me is the cranking - on all of my other FI motos, just crank and go - this one i feel like i have to sweet talk and make promises to take her out to dinner to get her to crank for me. it's very irritating!

·
Registered
775 Posts
do you have a voltmeter? check a couple of things:

1. battery voltage w/everything off after letting the battery sit overnight without charging (should be 12.6v+)
2. battery voltage while cranking (shouldn't fall below 10v or so)
3. battery voltage while running (should be 12.5+ at idle, 13.5+ at 4000 rpm)

outside of that, sounds like you have an intermittent connection issue somewheres. super check the battery cables, the frame ground, the ground to the engine, the positive wires to the starter, and we might be able to help with some of the smaller wiring (like the starter relay system, there's come mods that can help)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts