Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Where am I?
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to let my bike sit for a good 6 weeks. I winterized it and everything. I decided today to bring it back to life so I drained the tank/carbs. Refilled with fresh gas. Battery back in and everything. Now it wont start.

It cranks and cranks and cranks, but wont catch at all. All the fuel lines are new with fresh gas and the petcock to ON. I am getting spark on all 4 plugs.

Any ideas?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Is the vacuum line hooked up and not cracked?
Are you actually getting gas flow to the carbs?

Not sure why you drained the carbs and tank after only 6 weeks though.
I started my bike last summer with Seafoam treated gas that has been in the tank for 2 years.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Try setting the petcock to PRI, and wait a minute or so. When you drained the carbs, it takes a few minutes of cranking to get fuel to the carbs.
Give that a try.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Not sure which model year he has, but only the first few had the PRIme setting. After that it was ON, RES and OFF.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not sure which model year he has, but only the first few had the PRIme setting. After that it was ON, RES and OFF.
His sigline now says he rides a 2004 model (the sigline may have been there at the time the OP was made, I do not recall) so you are right that he has no PRIME position on the petcock valve.

I still do not understand why he would feel the need to drain the gas from the tank and carbs after only a 6 week *winter* storage period.:confused:

In his situation, I would have at least tried to start the engine before draining the gas.:)

·
Banned
448 Posts
My apologies to all, I didn't realize they didn't have the PRIme on the newer bikes. I thought it was a good idea IMO but I guess they (the manufacturer) felt it wasn't necessary.

·
Where am I?
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to Life!

Thank you everyone. I got it running finally. The vac line had a small hole in the rubber near where it connects to the nipple. Replaced the line and all is well!!

I still do not understand why he would feel the need to drain the gas from the tank and carbs after only a 6 week *winter* storage period.:confused:

In his situation, I would have at least tried to start the engine before draining the gas.:)
I drained the tank because last summer I had a Ninja whose carbs got gummed up bad because I started it with the old gas in there. Crap settled to tbe bottom of the tank and went straight to the carbs. I just rather be safe than sorry. The carbs on the Vulcan are a pain:BLAM:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts