Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the site so please forgive any protocols that I may miss. Just picked up a 1988 Vn750. Had it out for a couple of days and have really enjoyed my first motorcycle. Had a truck pull out and threw a rock right into the site window of the brake master cylinder. Is there a way to repair the window? i have looked for parts and all that seems to be available is the entire master brake cylinder.....any other options?

Thanks any and all help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Can't remember whether it was here, or on another forum, but the guy drained the MC, popped the sight glass out, and glued in a piece of clear plastic. Don't remember what glue he used.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
You could probably replace just the glass but you'd have to get creative. One of us with part out bikes may have one for cheap though. I can check if I still have mine if you're interested. Came off a 96.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan Madness mjmartin. As you can tell from the responses already received, there are a lot of helpful and friendly folks here. It`s good to have another Kanuck on the forum. We are few in number. Is the vn750 a manifestation of a mid-life crisis (like many of us here), or are you just a "youngster"? <BG>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the help everyone, you really know how to make a guy feel welcome. It really seems like great online community. I have already picked up tons of information from all of the threads. I think that I have found a master cylinder online that will match my 88. I appreciate the offers of parts as well. For the record.....my bike is an early mid-life crisis....(I'm in my early 30's).

Thanks Again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I have found repalcement sight glasses on ebay. I will give these a try and let the group know how it works out.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan Madness mjmartin. As you can tell from the responses already received, there are a lot of helpful and friendly folks here. It`s good to have another Kanuck on the forum. We are few in number. Is the vn750 a manifestation of a mid-life crisis (like many of us here), or are you just a "youngster"? <BG>
INVADERS FROM THE NORTH - EVERYONE GRAB THE GUNS!!!:wow:

·
Hoser
118 Posts
I made a new sight glass by tracing the old one on a piece of taped over polycabonate plastic (like you get at the hardware store) and cutting / grinding for a few minutes. I used black RTV silicone to hold it in. Works great, and its free.

·
Bandito
160 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I would never even consider trying to replace just the sight glass. Even if you got it in there, it could leak or pop out, leaving you with no brakes. There should be plenty of used master cylinders around cheap, at most they would just need a slight bore polish and new seals.

I remember an article I read in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine many years ago, about having a master cylinder chromed. You had to remove and reinstall the sight glass. It gave an elaborate procedure for doing it, and still cautioned that even done perfectly, there was a one in four chance that the sight glass would break, leaving you with a very expensive paperweight. Even though I am running my bike with only one front disc (works perfectly, well proven in over 25,000 miles of use), I take brakes seriously. A bike that won't start is a problem, a bike that won't stop.............
Jerry.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
You would still have rear brakes, granted they do not stop as well as front, but you *should* notice if the sight glass is leaking during your pre-ride inspection.

Mine has to be done at some point, I just do not see why the whole master cylinder should be chunked due to the sight glass clouding up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts