Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A fellow coworker of mine..older guy, had a brand new custom harley he bought last year from his scratch lotto winnings, got in a crash Friday eve after work....a vehicle was involved...not sure of exactly how.
He was airlifted to north memorial hospital in intensive care...broke his leg in two places, arm and hand damage, internal damage, severe head trauma (even wearing a helmet!!).He is in a medical induced coma for now....he may not survive...

Guys be careful.....and yes helmets can help, but they dont make you invincible!!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Wishing him the best. No gear can make you invincible, but any extra chance as survival is worth it to me.

Ride safely out there everyone.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
God Bless him in hopes for a 100% successful recovery.

Damn Cagers !

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heard some news...they said he was running a high fever and im not sure what that means medically while in a coma.....but it cant be good...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Heard some news...they said he was running a high fever and im not sure what that means medically while in a coma.....but it cant be good...
In an ICU, with a Medical induced Coma, the patient has a Traut down his throat (incubation) breathing for him. Medically, the fever is caused by some kind of infection ...very possibly of the lungs.

...just sayin'

:smiley_th

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
The fever is worrysome but not unusual in his condition. Don't know if you've actually seen him yet but with a medically induced coma he probably has a sub-dural hematoma (creates pressure in the skull/brain). With this the body often goes into convulsions and they medically induce a deep coma to minimize damage and to allow the Doctors to work on him. He may have a shunt to help relieve cranial pressure. With the coma being medically induced it's hard to judge potential long term damage so don't worry too much if there is no "pain" response. It would be interesting to know what his inter cranial pressure rose too (above 20???) and his age since his age will in a small way help determine "remapping" potential if brain damage has occurred.

If you do visit please realize that while in a medically induced coma he is feeling no pain, hunger, or thirst. His entire body will probably be swollen to the point where he will be hard to recognize when you first see him. With the fever you will need to gown and glove up before entering his room. While not well documented many people (including many Doctors and Nurses) believe that coma patients can sometimes still hear you so if he is a close friend get the family “code” (so they’ll let you into the ICU)and pay him a visit. Even if he can’t hear you think of it as paying respect to a friend.

My best friend is currently in a coma from a bicycle accident and while things don’t look good at this point I still try to show him the respect of a weekly visit since he has no close family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear. This is one of those stories that makes me really freeze up and think twice about riding.
So much can go wrong...
Ride safe guys, and remember to keep ATGATT.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update...
Hes not doing so well..not sure if hes got pneumonia..(did i spell that right?)
Hes running a bad fever and etc..still in the ICU.
Doctor said this may be the defining moment if he can fight it or not...

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

He has been moved out of ICU, to another hospital, a Trauma specialty hospital.
Some co-workers went down to see him, he was awake watching tv they said, but still kinda ou of it...

One guy named Bob, said he asked him "Do you know who i am?"
and they said he gave him a pissed off disgruntled look and said "Yes Bob i know who the hell you are.."

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sounds like a good sign if they moved him out of ICU (as well as the sarcastic response to 'Bob')

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update..

Hes doing alot better...able to have conversations and etc....they said he was asking tons of questions about his bike...where its at....how bad is it...etc...

Oh and he did end up losing one of his big toes..not sure which foot tho.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
So glad to hear positive news. I've been sending good vibes his way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts