Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull my covers on the neck over the radiator cap and all the other day to put on my new throttle cables, I kinda liked the look better without them so I haven't put them back on yet. What do you guys think of them? Do many of you run without them? I'm thinking I'm going to leave them off for a while and see what I think about it... I really was never a big fan of them anyways...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I don`t have any objection to the looks of the neck covers, and I do like the the reflectors for whatever small degree of conspicuity they may offer for night riding. I just painted all my plastics (except the switches on the bars) in the past few weeks, and they look much better now that they are shiny black, not with the previous dull whitish oxidation on the surface.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
During Inspection once the guy told me they were wrong. Im like, no, I bought the bike this way. He said they are wrong I cant pass you. Just then a Harley pulls in. I think his reflectors were on the outside of his forks. So I looked and the colors were on the same side as mine. I says well then flunk him too. Guy stammers and say I could sworn they go the other way. The Harley guy and I had a chuckle like .. Ya we both swapped them to screw with you dumm dumm.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Gordon, how did you prep the plastic?
I washed all the plastic pieces in the kitchen sink with some Sunlight dish soap to clean off any dirt and oil. Then just before painting I wiped them down again with some paint thinner/cleaner to be sure any oily fingerprints were removed.

I used the Krylon Fusion semi-gloss plastic paint that lance used and reported in a thread a few months ago.

I tend to apply too much paint and get runs in my work. I wish I had tried some of the suggestions mentioned in this old thread, which include spraying on paint and wiping it off again, using furniture polish, or soaking the plastic pieces in motor oil.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10304&highlight=krylon+plastic+paint

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
During Inspection once the guy told me they were wrong. Im like, no, I bought the bike this way. He said they are wrong I cant pass you. Just then a Harley pulls in. I think his reflectors were on the outside of his forks. So I looked and the colors were on the same side as mine. I says well then flunk him too. Guy stammers and say I could sworn they go the other way. The Harley guy and I had a chuckle like .. Ya we both swapped them to screw with you dumm dumm.
Must be the gestapo you have out there. I've never lived anywhere that I had to have the bike inspected for anything.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Yes, Massachusetts the state on the move. Everybody is moving out. Nothing but liberal democrats here. Just another way for the state to take my money

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Seems to me that the covers protect the wiring from rain and road water

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm sure they're there for that purpose, but I look at other bikes, I.e. My friend's Sporty I've been riding around, and I see no neck covers. Same on my father-in-law's Suzuki Intruder Volusia, and most other bikes I can think of... So, what exactly would be the difference between them being exposed on our bikes without the covers and being exposed on any other bike out there?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I liked the neck covers, I don't think it would look as good with the radiator cap and other stuff showing, thats just my opinion though...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
So, what exactly would be the difference between them being exposed on our bikes without the covers and being exposed on any other bike out there?
None. But less corrosion with them on of course.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Must be the gestapo you have out there. I've never lived anywhere that I had to have the bike inspected for anything.
I always thought most states had some kind of safety inspection, just not emissions tests.

Here bikes are exempt from emission tests, but still require a "safety inspection" every 2 years.

I do not see this as a bad thing. There are many cars...and bikes...on the road with dangerous problems that the owners are unaware of.

The motorcycle inspection usually is more of a fomality, as my last one consisted of having the mechinic install the sticker saying it passed....without checking anything on the bike.(He did ask me if all the lights work properly..)

After working in a bike shop for a few years I know you can tell which owners actually take care of their bikes and which are negligent in maintaining their bike.

ANYWAY...

I'm with OD on this...the neck just looks ugly without the covers. But if you are going for that "home built custom look" ...then you might like it without them.

KM

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
They check the tires, lights, brakes, wiggle the font forks, look for leaky seals, check for leaks. Thats it, no emissions. Cept for the doo daa that thought my reflectors were backwards

·
. . "Boricua" Rider . .
133 Posts
I liked the neck covers, I don't think it would look as good with the radiator cap and other stuff showing, thats just my opinion though...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
I like it with the neck covers . . . chromed! (redone recently)

What do you think?

BnG

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like the chrome!!

You might also try the Mother's Back to Black...I plan on experimenting with it. Most of my bike is old oxidized black plastic...if the Mother's doesn't work then I'll probably repaint most of it and I was also looking at the chrome paint just to dress it up a bit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
kawabengie, That looks great!
That's exactly the look I would like to have.
How did you chrome the neck covers!
Did you have them plated? Did you paint them?
Do tell me more please.

·
. . "Boricua" Rider . .
133 Posts
kawabengie, That looks great!
That's exactly the look I would like to have.
How did you chrome the neck covers!
Did you have them plated? Did you paint them?
Do tell me more please.
These were triple chromed (copper, nickel then chrome)-1yr warranty-.
Had to send them to Miami (Universal Electrocoating).
A little pricey, but worth it for me.
Tks,
BnG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts