Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the carb after getting it back from overhaul and I also overhauled the petcock. I'm still having issues though... :(

1) If I give it any amount of throttle while the choke is full on the bike will die
2) After the bike is off choke the idle will slowly climb as it continues to warm up.

So Q's 1) Do you find that you cannot add throttle while on full choke? 2) Do you find that you need to adjust idle during warmup?

-Robert

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
My engine does not like any throttle with full choke and very little throttle for the few minutes it takes to warm up and ease the choke off. I have never touched the black idle adjustment knob, and after sitting for a year the bike started right up a couple of weeks ago when I did a stator charging test up tp 5k rpm. Idles right at 1100 rpm. Very responsive to the throttle and no hiccups.

Same 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas since June 2008. Seafoam added in summer of 2009 and 2010. Fuel is starting to smell rancid, but engine still runs good.

I hope all you guys with carb problems get them cured soon. :)

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
On Chilly Mornings i use about 3/4 choke but i turn her over a few times and then turn the coke off and she fine for starting.(Perhaps just my old habit)

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
One thing about carbureted bikes is that each one has it's own personality. When mine starts in colder weather I use 3/4 to full choke and have to tweak the throttle then it fires up. When warm it wants no throttle at all. As far as giving it some juice when I first start it, no for about a minute or so that would kill it. And one cylinder is lazy so it chugs a bit. I think new plugs and wires might help with that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The idle adjustment is for setting the idle for when the engine is warm. Should be around 1100 rpm.

Use your choke to get her started and keep her running while cold. It doesn't work like the black screw, but you kind of use it as an idle adjustment. If the engine still needs the choke to run, you should let it warm up more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts