Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
question 1:

what is the swingarm made from and can i tack weld a couple nuts to it? drill it and tap it?

question 2:

how much travel does the rear end have in the stock form?

question 3:

does chopping the frame off right behind/above the rear shock mount cause any structural changes? i wouldnt think so by looking at it as long as i dont mess with the bolt hole/gusset...but it doesnt hurt to ask. ;)

reason i'm asking, i want to set the rear fender right above the rear tire. like RIGHT above it. i'm thinkin attaching it to the swingarm is the only way to do this w/out going hardtail.

to do this i'm thinkin about drilling and tapping the swingarm or tackwelding a couple nuts to bolt a fender to it then fab'ing up a bracket/strut coming off the rear shock mount on the wheel to stabilize the fender (ala hardtail style)

i want to avoid the fender/tire combo from hittin my battery box (which is not stock and moved a bit forward. it sits about as low as the orig box but higher than the orig w/the R/R mounted underneath)

thanks!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Rear travel, as reported in the shop manual, is about 3.5"

As for the swingarm, I pretty sure it's all steel. Welding may be the better route to go as opposed to drilling/tapping. Drilling could take from the integrity of the unit. (although Edalbris did drill a grease fitting into his at the driveshaft area)
Just don't get it to hot when welding. Many light tacks are better than a continous bead so you don't heat it up too much.

And I believe more than a couple here have already chopped the back of the frame off without any problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent. thank you.

now, is that 3.5'' measured at the shock? centerline of the wheel? etc...

ive got it up on the centerstand right now. just want to make sure the swingarm isnt going to bump the box at full compression. i think it'll be ok though...

glad to hear chopping the frame is ok, i'm goin for the bobber/rat bike solo only bike on this one. ;)

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Just don't get it to hot when welding. Many light tacks are better than a continous bead so you don't heat it up too much.
I concur with Hyper here. If any cracks do develop over time, it will be along weld lines if you choose that route.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
now, is that 3.5'' measured at the shock? centerline of the wheel? etc...
Hmm, good question.
It's just a guess, but I would think the centerline of the wheel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excellent. i would have thought so as well.

as far as tack welding, i had planned on a bunch of little tacks anyhow since its just holding a fender. ;) and i've found in the past running a bead around a nut is a pain in the ass. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts