Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well i bought my first bike which happens to be a 2001 VN750. I've gone over this forum site several times studying on things i should know about my bike. Lots of good information and helpful tips. One thing i've thought about doing is the "ear shave", looks pretty neat and a little extra power couldnt hurt. I've also thought about putting the V&H Cruizers on my bike as well, im young and i dont think the highway noise that most people dont like is going to bother me much and if it does i could just put the bigger baffles in.

So...anyway to my questions. My first question is, in the ear shave parts it says to use a certain size jets but im not sure if that is good for my elevation and the add on of the V&H pipes. I live in dallas,TX where the elevation is 430ft. Does anyone know what size jets i might need or if someone can get me in the ballpark of where i need to be? I'd prefer not to have to take the carbs off more than once but i know it might be neccessary. Any help would be great.

My next question is I have noticed just recently that my idle is a little weird. Usually it starts right up and runs great but sometimes i'll be sitting there idling and then it starts creeping up to 2-3k rpm's. :confused: I'll rev it up and itll go back down and then start the proccess over again, then randomly go away. i thought maybe a vacuum leak but it doesnt happen all the time. I did remove the CA emissions off the bike but that was a couple months ago. I did have trial and error with that but did figure it out. It's not bad gas i dont think because ive gone through a few tanks...any guesses? Junk in the carb's maybe? All help is greatly appreciated. :smiley_th

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The jets and the needle shims can be done without removing the carbs. It is a slow patient process. Some people have used a piece of hose to hold the jets with when installing. Good luck.

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard that you can do it with the carbs on but i think i need to take them apart and clean them anyway. The person who owned it before me didn't seem to take care of it much.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So...anyway to my questions. My first question is, in the ear shave parts it says to use a certain size jets but im not sure if that is good for my elevation and the add on of the V&H pipes. I live in dallas,TX where the elevation is 430ft. Does anyone know what size jets i might need or if someone can get me in the ballpark of where i need to be? I'd prefer not to have to take the carbs off more than once but i know it might be neccessary. Any help would be great.

My next question is I have noticed just recently that my idle is a little weird. Usually it starts right up and runs great but sometimes i'll be sitting there idling and then it starts creeping up to 2-3k rpm's
For that altitude, I used:
2 Keihin PN: 99101-393 Main Jet Size: 142
2 Keihin PN: N424-22 Pilot/Slow Jet Size: 42
You could use 140/40 too

RPM...I suspect bad fuel

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome, thanks for the info:smiley_th

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got it all done, have the new exhaust, ear shave, re-jet, coasters, and it all is running quite well. Also found out why the bike was popping so much, a pilot jet was clogged with some stuff in it and was letting absolutly nothing into the cylinder at idle. It's amazing that it idled so well on just one cylinder, after you reved it up then the main jet took over so then both start working. Never would have known with factory exhaust, but it's all good now :lockd:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts