Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my engine back in after replacing the stator and it runs like horse pucky! Sputters and coughs at idle and refuses to rev unless I tease it very gingerly; then it will increase rpms slowly, but backfires and coughs even more. If I open the throttle much it dies immediately. It seems to run a bit better after warming up, but I didn't have much time to experiment further last weekend.

The carbs and throttle cables remained installed while the engine was moved aside for stator access, so I don't believe there's anything in the carbs. I removed the choke cable, but I think it's installed correctly and there's a bit of slack in it. One thing that's probably most significant, given all the other posts here, is that I seated the carb vent line really well in the back of the breather box.

I'll get more time on it this Saturday. Anyone have any thoughts that will save me some grief?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hummm, right now all i can suggest is to go back over all your connections... coils, spark plugs fuel lines and make sure they are all connected well... also look for things like a pinched tank vent hose, the vacum hose (hose on the back side of the right air filter. as far as the choke goes, make sure the choke pin (u will see it, follow the cable to where it connects to the carbs) is fully in IIRC.

side note, did she sit for a while without running? what stator did u use? noticed u live in az, and curious how things hold up in the dry heat....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike sat for about a month without running. I have a can of Sea Foam and will definately run some through.

My bike came from Oregon and has been here for about 1-1/2 years. There's the slightest amount of rust on bolt edges and the exhaust, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse. And I haven't noticed any deterioration in the rubber. Don't know why. Some of the plastic is getting sun bleached and my saddle bags are looking pretty lame from parking outside at work.

I'll check everything again, especially the vacuum hose. I think it is bottomed out in the holder.

Thanks.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
One thing that's suggested around here is to cut the end of the vacuum line in the right filter at an angle so it can't bottom out.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Darrel -

IF you can get it to idle for a few minutes, makes sure it is firing on both cylinders. CAREFULLY feel both mufflers to see that they are equally hot.

Like Hizzo said, double check ALL electrical connectors. I missed the +12V and ground leads to my rear coil after putting the motor back in and thought I had a carb problem for 3 days.

Check the connection from the modules next to the stator to the harness. Mine was corroded so bad, it wouldn't start at all when I out it back together.

Let us know what you find.

Jon

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I pulled the vacuum hose out of the back of the breather and cut it off at 45 degrees and the bike runs great. I don't know what this hose is for, but it's pretty important.

Thanks for the info.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
IIRC its the vacum hose for the carbs. that should be the 'outside' pressure source or the reffernce... with it blocked, it can cause ur stumbling.... glad u got it fixed :beerchug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts