Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. going to finally replace the duct-taped stick clutch lever that my 99 VN750 came with.. just ordered the Kury wide levers as well as a set of #6180 ISO grips.. anything I should know (beyond the start-up pin in the clutch lever which is already broken) about replacing the grips and levers? Anything special about the brake and/or clutch cables?

What have you found is the best way to get the stock grips off ? (slicing them down the middle?) and what works best for installing the ISO grips?

Thanks! These are things I searched for on the Vulcan Verses and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for I guess :)

-Jared

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
One caution with the clutch lever..
From the Vulcan verses -
Clutch
Ok.. Big Bikes come to the rescue.. Try a Goldwing Dealer. The clutch levers are inter-changeable.. Starr has tried Goldwing clutch levers on mine with no problem.. 8 mm main shaft part of bolt.. threaded part 5 mm. Ask for the one for a GL1500.

In installing new levers - just be careful of that clutch lever bolt.. That seems to be the one that has broken for at least two others.. It's a shaft, with a threaded end and does have a nut attached. Parts diagram at buy kawasaki should show you . And I'm sure it's covered in the online manual too.

I snapped that puppy right off trying to put the lever back on - didn't even know it was there. It's the safety switch that keeps it from starting if it's in gear

Mechmo was trying to install the Flanders levers today, and did exactly what you warned him not to - snapped the plastic pin on the backside of the clutch area. He saw it, thought he had cleared it, was wiggling the clutch, and heard it snap. Damn Mechmo! What is the pin for/what does it do, and how do I replace it?

That’s the clutch starter disengagee thing sounds like. Only cost abt $5

Next.. the "little plastic pin" is the clutch/starter safety switch. There should be two wires coming to it. The question is... does the circuit need to be open (wires not touching) or does the circuit need to be closed (wires touching) for the starter to work? One way to find out... try both. This can keep you riding while ordering the replacement switch. The switch IS a good idea... starting in gear, etc.

The switch prevents the bike from starting if it's in gear and the clutch is not pulled in. Now that you have broken off the little plastic pin, your bike WILL try to start, and it will lurch forward if you inadvertently try to start it while it is in gear.

Well that Mechmo sure is an idiot! He did the same darn thing when he was at my house once. Luckily, the switch is held in place by a single screw and takes all of 3 minutes to replace.

And another from Verses on Grips..
Grips
Both Grab-On and Pro Grip make grips with foam or rubber and chrome accents...they cost ALOT less than Kury...I like the rubber Progrips use...

Removing glued on grips: If you have access to compressed air, sometimes it helps to inject air under the grip by placing the air nozzle right against the front edge. This will make sliding the grip off a bit easier. If you glued the grip in place sometimes heating the grip with a hairdryer or injecting warm/hot water under the grip softens the glue enough to where you can slide it off (Push, don't pull the grip off) If all else fails, Vince found out that Kurayakan does sell just a single replacement grip ..dianna

I used a hair dryer to warm up the grip and then a very thin bladed flat knife to help it along. That and a lot of patience.

Jason used a tiny flat headed screwdriver after we heated it up....I cheered him on while he said a few choice words now & then but we got it. :)

I like to install my grips with water as a lubricant and if they are tight enough they should stay put. Another option is to use cheap hair spray as a lubricant and glue (work fast because hair spray does not take long to try out). If you want to remove the grips later, hair spray will loosen up with water (if you can get it under the grip). When I installed Kuryakn ISO grips (goldwing model recommended by this group), the left grip was so lose I could spin it. I had read on this message board to use golf grip tape. I didn't have any so I just used electrical tape and it worked fine. The golf grip tape should improve the hold of the stock grip. Loran 1995 VN750 (Teal & Black)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dianna.. I apologize, I must have been searching for ISO Grips at the time, and not just "Grips".. that's why I didn't find that section :) *smacks self*

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay well, I just got my ISO grips in, the left hand-grip went on fine with some electrical tape.. I took off the throttle grip and found the plastic throttle sleeve.. it has a lip on the outside and inside though that the iso grips will not fit over, do I need to shave these down, or is there a better solution?

-Jared

1 - 5 of 5 Posts