Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a Corbin seat on their 750?
I curious about the fitment with the extended back rest. I know that the Corbin site specifically states that the seat will not fit/work with the extended back rest. However, I am curious as to the reason why.

Looking at the photo of the seat on their website, I can see that the seat rises a bit higher then the stock seat above the stock/default backrest. Obviously, this would interfere with the pad on the extended backrest. Question is: Is this the only fitment interference, or does the edge of the seat curve backwards over the default backrest?

Basically stated, If I removed and rebuild the backrest pad on the extended backrest, would it work with the Corbin seat? (Since my pad is falling apart, I have to rebuild it already) Or, I am just as likely to just buy the default/low backrest to be able to use the Corbin seat anyways.

Options here?

...yes, I know I could call Corbin and ask them ;) I'm just curios to hear from those that already have the seat.

·
2,527 Posts
I took the plate on the extended backrest and notched it so that the corbin would fit in under it. Right now I have the extended backrest off and have the short stock one back on it.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There is pictures on my web site, link below.
Be careful the Corbin seat will rub the tank and wear throught the paint. Had it happen to 2 bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I have both the extended backrest and the luggage rack. I have a huge T bag setup I mount on it, which gives me more storage room than both saddlebags put together. I could not get by without the extended backrest.

If you shell out the bucks for a Corbin seat, best of luck with it. I paid nearly $400 for a Corbin seat for a KLR650 once, and it was horrible. I kept riding it, hoping it would break in, but it never got any better. I went back to the stock seat and sold the Corbin at a $200 loss. I absolutely love the stock seat on the Vulcan 750, and have spent many 600 mile days on it. two things will make it even better. A Protac backrest (they are still out there for the Vulcan) and a beadrider seat cushion. If you don't want to shell out the $$$ for the backrest, just bungee a sleeping bag to the passenger seat to give you something to lean back against. It makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
There is pictures on my web site, link below.
Be careful the Corbin seat will rub the tank and wear throught the paint. Had it happen to 2 bikes.
Something ELSE wrong with the Corbin seat? Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, but you might look for a nice used Mustang seat. I've heard they are very good. To me anything beats a Corbin.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, thanks for the input.

I've had good luck with a Corbin on 2 other bikes, so I'm fairly sold on them myself. I was just concerned with the overall fitment. I'd like to keep the extended backrest as it is a lot easier to keep a sissy bar bag in place with it there as opposed to the short bar. (or so it would seem)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Several members have sent their stock seat to this guy: http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html

He replaces the OEM foam with better stuff for less than a Corbin or Mustang seat costs. Jerry is the only member I know of that likes the stock seat. It was kicking my tail for any ride longer than 30 minutes. I bought a used Mustang and really like it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which Mustang seat is recommended for fitment on our bikes? Looks like they don't offer one specific for the 750.

·
2,527 Posts
Something ELSE wrong with the Corbin seat? Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, but you might look for a nice used Mustang seat. I've heard they are very good. To me anything beats a Corbin.
They don't make them anymore? That's news to me, frankly I like my Corbin and I've had it on for 2 years and it isn't wearing on the tank. The mustang is the one not being made. Saddleman still makes one that looks like the mustang, you could try looking into that, a few members here got it and like them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts