1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
796 Posts
Let me tell you from experience. They work great! Last June when I rented a bike down in AZ and rode 450 miles in a day. The folks I was riding with was talking about these vests. After getting back towards the valley and the temps got over 95 degrees the vest came out and they had a spare for me. Soaked them in water put them over my t-shirt and under my leather vest. WOW what a difference. It felt like I had air-conditioning in my leather vest even at 110 degrees once we got down in the valley. A++ in my book.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me tell you from experience. They work great! Last June when I rented a bike down in AZ and rode 450 miles in a day. The folks I was riding with was talking about these vests. After getting back towards the valley and the temps got over 95 degrees the vest came out and they had a spare for me. Soaked them in water put them over my t-shirt and under my leather vest. WOW what a difference. It felt like I had air-conditioning in my leather vest even at 110 degrees once we got down in the valley. A++ in my book.
Good deal!! I knew someone on here had probably tried one,that looks like a winner to me

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Do you drop the windshield in the summer...??? You know, cages have windshields...lol...
The devil made me say that Denny...:beerchug:...
I know you don't have to wear a helmet in Ky., but I would wear my FF anyway, which most I ride with ask how do I stand to wear that hot FF helmet in the summer, but it is not that hot without a windshield...
Anyway I don't have experience with the cooling vests, but here is another choice, and I think the silver color would reflect a bit more solar power than the other colors...
http://www.google.com/#q=cycle+gear+cooling+vests&hl=en&sa=X&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=6IffTZ3lLouEtgeOpLzzCQ&ved=0CHcQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=3462ed02299704e9&biw=1034&bih=688
Besides me being a smart arse, hope that helps...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you drop the windshield in the summer...??? You know, cages have windshields...lol...
The devil made me say that Denny...:beerchug:...
I know you don't have to wear a helmet in Ky., but I would wear my FF anyway, which most I ride with ask how do I stand to wear that hot FF helmet in the summer, but it is not that hot without a windshield...
Anyway I don't have experience with the cooling vests, but here is another choice, and I think the silver color would reflect a bit more solar power than the other colors...
http://www.google.com/#q=cycle+gear+cooling+vests&hl=en&sa=X&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=6IffTZ3lLouEtgeOpLzzCQ&ved=0CHcQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=3462ed02299704e9&biw=1034&bih=688
Besides me being a smart arse, hope that helps...lol...
Thanks OD,I have looked at the link and I have looked at different colors and one of the lighter colors ,tan and silver have been my first 2 choices,I usually were a half helmet although I do like My FF when it rains on me but it is actually noisier than my half helmet,I did cut my windshield down but I like the protection it offers when I have to hit the 4 lane and if you are around coal trucks.If you get around them it is like riding in a sandblaster without the shield,I have been thinking about putting one of those gold wing vents in it.

And I never mess with the Old Dog,I am afraid I would get bitten,say what you want,I know Old Guys Rule,:smiley_th.Have a nice one yourself,Denny

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
I bought one of the vests. It's filled with the same absorbant used in baby diapers. I only wore it once locally. The humidity was so high (typical) that there was almost no evaporative cooling. It was cooler for me just to wear mesh gear. It would probably work very well in areas with less humidity.

·
Registered
659 Posts
They work great in low humidity, like AZ. You need the quick evaporation to get the good cooling effect. Here in hot & humid-ville I think it's just another layer of wet.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I like the protection it offers when I have to hit the 4 lane and if you are around coal trucks.If you get around them it is like riding in a sandblaster without the shield,I have been thinking about putting one of those gold wing vents in it.
You mean this stuff gets on your bike too...lol... But coal haul roads are sometimes very good rides, log roads are where you get your tail thrown... Sometimes you just have to get a bit dirty on the coal haul roads...lol...

And BTW- it's gettin about time I headed up that way and into some of those good twisties again...lol...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts