Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can i find a cheap thermostat and temp sensor for my 86 vulcan?
or would it be a terrible idea to build a toggle switch set up for the fan and remove the thermostat all together?
she gets hot on trips over ten miles and the fan is coming on but i think its coming on to late cause its almost in the red on the gauge before it comes on and then i gotta let her cool down before she will start again.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If you do a search here on the forum. You may find that a car thermostat fits. But I can't remember right off the top of my head wish one it is.
Also if you have excess to a beam heat sensor, that would be the best way to see if the engine is really hot.
Does the engine cool down when bike is on the move?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it only cools if i'm at about 70 holding the clutch in and the bike is at idle i know the fan is coming on late and i need the temp sensor to fix the prob any idea on how i can get my hands on a cheap one

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Got one and thermo too!

·
Registered
223 Posts
As far as the thermostat do you know for sure it isn't working? I'd make sure to bleed any air out of the system and install a toggle switch to the wire that runs to your fan switch on the radiator. Here's a pic. of mine, switch was 6.00 at oreilly's and you just run one wire to the battery ground and one to the fan switch wire.

·
Registered
223 Posts
sorry pic wouldn't attach because I used it in a previous post about "fan switch needed"

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i mounted the fan switch on the left side neck cover and grounded it to a bolt on the frame.
i was kinda worried about some time in the future when i was in a hurry and forgetting to turn off the switch and coming back out of the store to a dead battery however after a happy coincidence i noticed that with the position of the switch as long as i lock my forks the left fork hits the switch and turns it off!!!!!!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts