Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a mod that I'm doing temporarily (maybe) until I can figure out why my fan won't turn on normally. It does work, but it isn't turned on when it needs to.

This mod is for people that:
Have a functioning fan that doesn't turn on at operating temperature
Would like manual control of their fan
Can't leave things the way they are

Parts needed:
--Two-terminal toggle switch
--Wire
--Spade connectors: 1x male (a), 3x female (b1, c1, d)
OR
--Spade connectors: 2x male (a, d), 2x female (b1, c1)

I think the spade sizes are 1.18 for the male connector, and 1/4 inch for the female connectors. DO NOT rely on my information, because I'm not sure these sizes are correct.

(this can be done without spade connectors, if you wrap the wires around the terminals and electrical tape them, but be aware this is not the most efficient way to perform this mod)

Open the left side cover under the seat. It's held on with one bolt, and pulls straight out.

find the ten-pin connector. In the picture below, the ten-pin connector is circled in green

Remove the blue wire from the connector. This can be done by taking a small screwdriver, and pushing the connector out. You can try to pull the wire out, but I highly advise AGAINST this.

With the blue wire removed, follow the diagram below.

Depending on where you choose to connect the power supply, you will need different spade connectors. Male connectors are needed for connecting to auxiliary connectors (headlight bucket, or right side cover) and female connector is needed for junction box (if you have not performed the blue wire bypass, you might use the empty hole in the 8-pin connector at the junction box [middle picture, blue circle])

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I just jumped new wires in right at the fan. Power comes from the acc. wire coming outta the jbox and ground to frame. Didn't have to mess with any pins or anything. My two splices are heat shrunk and nice and tight. Hid the toggle switch right under the tank.

I chose to do it that way so when I install a working temp switch the system will still be automatic with no changes to my wiring necessary. You can also choose to run the fan a bit longer after you shut her down.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Why not just a ground from a toggle switch to the temp sensor wire?

No voltage to ever short out that way, could still be manual/automatic in a functioning system.

Myself, I would forget to turn the fan on or off.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts

No voltage to ever short out that way, could still be manual/automatic in a functioning system.

Nate and I spent a while on the phone, his problem is the relay inside the junction box not working right, the sensor is grounding out, but the relay isn't tripping...

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts

That's what I did.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Color me confused. The fan is supposed to come on when the coolant reaches a specfic tempature. What is the trigger for this? Isn't it just something that can be replaced?
The trigger is the coolant sensor in the bottom of the radiator, from there the ground trips a relay inside the junction box which is as you know is a little harder to replace.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys are awesome! I keep finding things out on my Vulcan thanks to you guys and this forum, thank you!
My '92 came with a new radiator installed, but i've never actually witnessed the fan turn on and there's a single wire connector (blk wire) not plugged in anywhere, thanks to this post said blk wire is the sensor wire (sensor gnd?) i ground it with the key on and the fan works as designed...Thanks again!

·
Diesel Tech
136 Posts
What temperature is the coolant switch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts