Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recentely bought a 1993 vn750, its my first bike ever. I am not too bad with a wrench but I have never worked on a bike before. Also electricity is not one of my strong points. Well the fan was working/kicking on as it should when I first got the bike 2 weeks ago, but now it stopped working. So did some searching on this forum and in the clymers book. The plug that goes to the fan switch seems pretty loose and has quite a bit of wiggle is that normal? Also the book talks about a fuse for the fan, however I do not see any fuses in the fuse block for a fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated, also if it winds up being the fan switch I might just rig up a toggle switch like I read about people on here doing.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
So I recentely bought a 1993 vn750, its my first bike ever. I am not too bad with a wrench but I have never worked on a bike before. Also electricity is not one of my strong points. Well the fan was working/kicking on as it should when I first got the bike 2 weeks ago, but now it stopped working. So did some searching on this forum and in the clymers book. The plug that goes to the fan switch seems pretty loose and has quite a bit of wiggle is that normal? Also the book talks about a fuse for the fan, however I do not see any fuses in the fuse block for a fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated, also if it winds up being the fan switch I might just rig up a toggle switch like I read about people on here doing.
turn your key on and ground the wire going to the temp.sensor on the bottom left of the radiator ,the fan should come on,if it doesn't un plug the two wire plug going into the fan and take a set of jumper wires and hook those two wires coming straight from the fan motor to a battery it should run if not ,bad fan ,if it does plug back up everything and make sure the connections are tight,

Then start your engine and let it run till it comes up to the temp the fan should come on ,usually over halfway over on the gauge,if it starts to get too hot, close to red ,you have other problems.been there done that ,bought a fan and didn't need it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I come across this problem too. I fix mine with a new junction box.
I used a relay external to the JB ,the relay was bad in my JB too,I now have an extra fan assembly if anybody needs one and no 750 to put it on lol :doh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The junction box was replaced by the previous owner a month or two before I purchased it, so hopefully that is not bad. I will hopefully get around to those test procedures sometime soon. I also wonder if maybe I am not letting the engine get hot enough, as I don't recall the temp gauge going further than half way.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
The junction box was replaced by the previous owner a month or two before I purchased it, so hopefully that is not bad. I will hopefully get around to those test procedures sometime soon. I also wonder if maybe I am not letting the engine get hot enough, as I don't recall the temp gauge going further than half way.
That may be the whole problem ,let it sit and idle running for a while with your eye on the gauge ,while you are riding it air is flowing over the radiator and I found mine only kicked on at low speeds on hot days even after installing the external relay,it really doesn't run a lot.I would so this simple test first.:smiley_th

1 - 6 of 6 Posts