Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have just picked up an 89 and have playing around with trying to get it running properly. First question is can the cooling fan run when the key is off as I have noticed a couple of times when I have reconnected the battery the cooling fan has started up for a few seconds and then stopped. The second question I have is can the igniter unit cause a misfire. I have an intermittent miss on the front cylinder even after swapping the coils around. A timing light shows a miss in the spark so I know its electrical. I connected the coil straight to the battery to make sure it was getting good current and that made no difference. Pickup coil mod has been done. Any ideas would be helpful. I do have a workshop manual but don't have a decent test meter so maybe I should get a new one and do all the tests suggested in the manual. One thing I thought was maybe if the fan wasn't supposed to go with the key off I may have a short somewhere causing all the problems. Cheers.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Not sure about the igniter unit causing a misfire (I strongly suspect it can) but the fan on my bike will continue to run after cutting the key off after a hot ride.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yup, second the fan's ability to run with the key off or removed. But it shouldn't run very long. I've never had mine come on reconnecting the battery though.

If you did the pick up coil mod, did you inspect them during this process? When I did mine I actually ended up replacing them cause where the wires went into the pickups, they were loose & two broke just by a light tug. I don't know if this would cause a miss or not but it's a possibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so I got hold of a decent multimeter and did some more testing. The pick up coils came up good and so did the coils and leads. The igniter unit was all over the place so I will try to get hold of a second hand replacement and give that a go. I also found that if I wriggled the wire on the fan switch the fan started and stopped so maybe a faulty switch or just needs a really good clean. I haven't had time for a close look just yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for offer new rider. I am trying to chase one locally but if I cant get that to happen I will pm you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts