Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise please. Recently this happens. During warm up and idling in the yard, the coolant temp indicator points straight down or back if you will. It fluctuates a little over
and under the temp symbol. However when riding the needle points to the second marker on the gauge.
Isnt that too cool for the engine? The fan turns on and off as normal, the coolant reservoir is full and I can see the coolant when I remove the filler cap when the engine is Cold. I have searched and seen many post about overheating, but not this. The temperature here now is around 15C(59F) and 17c(63F) When it was around 25C (77F) the temp gauge behaved "normal" Is it something to worry about at all?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
There are diagnostic tests for both the guage and the temp sensor in the manual. You’d need to take the gas tank off to get to the sensor. You also can open the headlight bucket and just disconnect the temp gauge there and test just the gauge. You’ll need a piece of jumper wire for either test. If your fan kicks on there’s a good chance the temp sensor works. My temp gauge is dead currently so I have no idea where the needle should sit during normal operation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are diagnostic tests for both the guage and the temp sensor in the manual. You’d need to take the gas tank off to get to the sensor. You also can open the headlight bucket and just disconnect the temp gauge there and test just the gauge. You’ll need a piece of jumper wire for either test. If your fan kicks on there’s a good chance the temp sensor works. My temp gauge is dead currently so I have no idea where the needle should sit during normal operation.
Thank You for info. The manual.... Clymer? I didnt find it there?

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
If the gauge and temp sender check out, the thermostat could be stuck open or someone removed it.

There's a free downloadable manual in my signature, in English.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Cool engines don’t get damaged, just overheated ones.
Riding casually in 60F weather could see lower coolant temperatures. I never paid much attention to the gauge unless it went past that halfway mark.
Easy fix would just to put in a new thermostat and see if it still reads that low on cooler days.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Cool engines suffer accelerated wear on the rings, pistons, cylinders, and bearing surfaces.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
In my manual, the test is in section 15-46, Electrical, Dash Gauges.

Easy test - Ignition on, gauge wire unplugged it should read Cold. Wire grounded, the gauge should read full Hot. Ground for a brief time until the gauge moves then stops moving. Prolonged grounding can cook the gauge.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If it's on the low-range mark (2nd from the left) it's still in opearting temp. When riding in the summer in FL right at the thermometer symbol, give or take. During the winter or if I catch a rainstorm, I wind up way down there by the low-range mark at times. Seems to be normal that the temp would drop a bit if the air is more efficiently cooling it, so long as it's in the range of the 2nd mark and the thermometer symbol it would seem to be in operating range to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Amazing nice people here! I now have all I need for finding out if there is a problem or not, actually. I hope I can be as helpfull back some day when someone asks me the things I have gotten help for here. (y):)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the gauge and temp sender check out, the thermostat could be stuck open or someone removed it.

There's a free downloadable manual in my signature, in English.
Thank You for the link. Downloaded👍😀

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Thank You for the link. Downloaded👍😀
You're welcome, glad you're able to use it. It's pretty thorough, and there's also a parts list in it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It turns out it is the thermostat that is stuck open, (or no thermostat). When I touch the hoses coming in and out of the radiator they both get warm during warmup. A friend tipped me about that one, so now I know that trick. I have read the other threads about using a Honda Accord thermostat, but it only says which year range, 79-89, not which models. There are a lot of model variations II-III-IV and so on, and engine sizes. Both diesel and gasoline. Does all the Honda Accords use the same thermostat, I wonder? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I think it should be the same for any Accord in those years, pretty sure they only offered one engine in that time period. Later years they did offer the V6 for an Accord.

That's interesting, I believe the oil filter is also the same as the 4cyl Accord.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it should be the same for any Accord in those years, pretty sure they only offered one engine in that time period. Later years they did offer the V6 for an Accord.

That's interesting, I believe the oil filter is also the same as the 4cyl Accord.
Just as a side note, the stealeship here wants equivalent to $80 for the Kawa part... :eek:o_O There is a reason for the "hunt".
You happen to know the engine size that was sold in the US? (I dont think the v6 ever was sold here.) That would narrow it down considrably.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Just as a side note, the stealeship here wants equivalent to $80 for the Kawa part... :eek:o_O There is a reason for the "hunt".
You happen to know the engine size that was sold in the US? (I dont think the v6 ever was sold here.) That would narrow it down considrably.
'89 should be a 2.0 litre.

Wow, $80 for a thermostat! Robbery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I dont just dismantle the parts and check for my self, is that all parts has to be ordered. That is at least two weeks delivery time, and if the o-ring in the thermostat goes when I open it, I want to have the parts ready to replace. Besides, then I can fix this at any time.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
You're welcome. Ebay should be a decent source for parts, if the shipping to Norway doesn't get you. There's usually parts in the UK but I don't know if that helps with shipping.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...or maybe not? According to the timeline here the Accord came with a redesigned model in 89-93 with a larger engine.

HONDA Accord 4 Doors
HONDA Accord 4 Doors photo gallery
1989 - 1993
The fourth generation Honda Accord is larger than the previous versions and based on the CB chassis designed in Japan. This was the first Accord not to be designed as a 3-door hatchback and was also more conservative in appearance. The engine line-up was completely redone, with a new 2.2 liter model with 16 valves and a 2.0 with 12 valves. Another interesting feature on this car, that was also a...
full description and technical specifications
gasoline engines:
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.8 4AT (105 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.8 5MT (100 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.8 5MT (105 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 2.0 4AT (110 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 2.0 5MT (110 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 2.0 i 4AT (133 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 2.0 i 5MT (133 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 2.2 4AT (150 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 2.2 5MT (150 HP)

HONDA Accord 4 Doors
HONDA Accord 4 Doors photo gallery
1981 - 1985
The second generation Honda Accord also came in a 4 door version that was just as popular as the hatchback. It too was launched in the US, Europe and Asian markets. There were some differences between the American and the European versions due to some American laws regarding the shape and positioning of the headlights, but the Asian version too retained at least a feature of originality, with th...
full description and technical specifications
gasoline engines:
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.6L 3AT (80 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.6L 3AT (90 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.6L 5MT (80 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.6L 5MT (90 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.7L 3AT (97 HP)
HONDA Accord 4 Doors 1.7L 5MT (97 HP)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts