Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my engine half out recently to replace the stator gasket as it was leaking oil. Got that all fixed.
Rode it around and it's been fine, got to work this morning in a cloud of steam.... was fine and temps were not hot at all, i was about 1/2 into the gauge, where it has been for quite awhile when it warms up.
Got off my bike and looked down and saw a super small stream coming from a very small area in the gasket.
i'm pretty sure it would just be a head gasket in this case?
i'ts just that steady stream of coolant... was fine when i was riding, just when i stopped the bike.
20210708_055020.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's actually coming from there and not running down from somewhere else, that would be a cylinder base gasket.
Thanks! Still learning the terms for this engine - that's what I meant :).
Going to try and head home early today if I can and pull the engine.... again...
Would you recommend anything else while i have it apart?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, is everything bolt wise reusable? last few times i've done a head gasket (in this case, base gasket) on a car, i've had to sometimes get new head bolts, but sometimes not.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Bolts are reusable.

Check the balance dampers, and put new orings on the coolant tubes on the heads, and new head gaskets.

Good luck, that gasket is no small job. I'd replace them both.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect, thank you... looks like i'll be fixing the bike this summer instead of riding it :) lets hope i get more than a week after it's all back together.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bolts are reusable.

Check the balance dampers, and put new orings on the coolant tubes on the heads, and new head gaskets.

Good luck, that gasket is no small job. I'd replace them both.
In checking out the o rings on parts websites, i can't locate the coolant orings. - are you talking about these?

or are you referring to these? just want to make sure

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
In checking out the o rings on parts websites, i can't locate the coolant orings. - are you talking about these?

View attachment 53565

or are you referring to these? just want to make sure

View attachment 53566

No ...

In your second drawing, it's number 670, goes on to part 32033 and 32033B, the coolant tubes. Two orings.

But any others you remove should be replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday's progress

Today's progress

Almost got the front cylinder done, but family duties called.... I have pretty much all day tomorrow, let's see how far I get 👍

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got this far... then i bent the piston ring getting the cylinder on the engine... so i ordered a set of rings which should be here this week i hope
\

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and last post for this
Got everything back together and got only the stuff i needed to let it fire up bolted back on and fired up after about 10 seconds of cranking.
New video by noah scott <---- video

then i found an oil leak at the stator gasket, which turned out to be a small piece of old gasket i didn't see when i was scraping it off,
then i got coolant in the engine, then it was dumping out the coolant tube that connects to the side case, turns out i had the coolant tube in the wrong direction AND the orings were the wrong size, so i put it in correct and no more coolant leaks.
So i got it fired up and got gas leaking all over, turns out i forgot to tighten the fuel line at the petcock, so i had every fluid just about leaking at me... haha.
then i let it idle for abotu 20 minutes and everything seemed to be perfect, no leaks no nothing, so i took it out for it's maiden adventure after having the motor basically ripped apart and it felt amazing to be back in the saddle of the vulcan...

hopefully after this, i shouldn't have any more real engine problems, internally at least.
stator gasket
clutch gasket
clutch side cover gasket
head gaskets
cylinder base gaskets
coolant o rings
oil change w/ filter
coolant change
piston oil ring

just need to get my saddle bags back on, get my phone charger hooked back up and call it a day... this has been an adventure!
probably wont see it, but want to thank sprockster for all of their help and all my questions i've had. I owe you!

on it's maiden voyage back out in the world

1 - 11 of 11 Posts