Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and new to the forum. I recently bought an 94' 750 vulcan with oil leaking out of the clutch cover gasket. So after I installed a new gasket with new fluids and fired it up to find leaking coolant from the dreaded weep hole. ARGH!! Then I drained both coolant and oil again not noticing any mixture of the two will draining. After removing the stubborn impeller and the even more pain in the a$$ mechanical seal Im now inspecting the red seal on the bearing. Notice the small opening at the 4 o'clock position. Is the enough to let coolant through and drip out the weep hole at the bottom?

Second question: The shaft will move back and forth about an 1/8 inch. Is this ok?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Rim Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Rim Wood

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Hello and new to the forum. I recently bought an 94' 750 vulcan with oil leaking out of the clutch cover gasket. So after I installed a new gasket with new fluids and fired it up to find leaking coolant from the dreaded weep hole. ARGH!! Then I drained both coolant and oil again not noticing any mixture of the two will draining. After removing the stubborn impeller and the even more pain in the a$$ mechanical seal Im now inspecting the red seal on the bearing. Notice the small opening at the 4 o'clock position. Is the enough to let coolant through and drip out the weep hole at the bottom?

Second question: The shaft will move back and forth about an 1/8 inch. Is this ok?

View attachment 54260 View attachment 54260

I'm thinking yes to both questions.

You can pressurize the cooling system to check for the leak, but you'll have to try to block the hole where the chrome coolant pipe goes. Just long enough to see a bubble or two and you'll know.

Auto parts stores should have a pressure test kit in the loaner tools. Need one to fit the small radiator cap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I replaced a worn out and vibrating mechanical seal a while back. Your red silicone bearing seal doesn't look too bad. If it was bad, you would have oil from the weep hole and/or coolant in the oil. Be careful BTW. That bearing can only be replaced from inside the case. I'd guess a new mechanical seal (and I seem to remember it has 2 or 3 companion parts or O-rings with it) will stop the weep. And you might want to smooth out the surrounding edge of the battlefield created removing the old one before driving in the new seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking yes to both questions.

You can pressurize the cooling system to check for the leak, but you'll have to try to block the hole where the chrome coolant pipe goes. Just long enough to see a bubble or two and you'll know.

Auto parts stores should have a pressure test kit in the loaner tools. Need one to fit the small radiator cap.
Thank you for the input. I was wondering if you think it would be a good idea to put RTV against the berring rubber wall and coat the inside of the mechanical seal with RTV as well to help form a seal? Last night I was able to push the thin red rubber on the berring back in its channel. Hoping this would keep the oil from mixing with coolant to which I dont think was happening in the first place. Only getting a lot of coolant spurting from the weep hole at start-up then slowed down to slow drip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced a worn out and vibrating mechanical seal a while back. Your red silicone bearing seal doesn't look too bad. If it was bad, you would have oil from the weep hole and/or coolant in the oil. Be careful BTW. That bearing can only be replaced from inside the case. I'd guess a new mechanical seal (and I seem to remember it has 2 or 3 companion parts or O-rings with it) will stop the weep. And you might want to smooth out the surrounding edge of the battlefield created removing the old one before driving in the new seal.
What do you think about applying RTV to the inside of the mechanical seal or to the red bearing seal?

·
Registered
60 Posts
What do you think about applying RTV to the inside of the mechanical seal or to the red bearing seal?
I wouldn't use RTV in there, but that's just me. Your bearing looks better than mine looked I think. I just used some grease on and behind the mechanical seal and carefully tapped it into place. When seated, the back of the mechanical seal rests against the inner bearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts