Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I've got a problem with my 94 Vulcan. It's been having troubles firing on two pistons, I've read up a lot on these forums and decided to pull the carbs to give them a good cleaning. I check the spark and i've got strong spark all the way around so I'm thinking it's a fuel issue.

My buddy and I pulled the carbs, I had a look inside the intake and to my bewilderment there is a green liquid sitting on the intake valves, a ring of it on both cylinders.

I'm not an expert on this engine so at this point have no idea why or how coolant got there. Does anyone have a similar experience or thoughts? I'm 1/2 way pulling the engine out and this winter my plan is to redo some gaskets I guess.... I'm also thinking the coolant burning in the chamber may have contributed to my firing on one piston issue?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Coolant can get into the combustion chamber from a blown head gasket, or a crack in the head or cylinder. There are coolant passageways between the cylinder and head, and from pictures I've seen, they come very close to the edges of the gasket. Turn the engine so one of the cylinders is at TDC on the compression stroke, then pressurize the cylinder, remove the coolant filler cap, and see if you get bubbles in the cooling system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jerry,

I was eager and decided to pull the engine out this weekend. Winters' setting in and I don't have a heated garage so I thought I'd be proactive, get the engine out and then try and get it to a buddies that has a heated garage.

I was thinking blown head gasket but that unfortunately doesn't explain why there might be coolant in the intake. From what I can see of the engine there shouldn't be a location where coolant can get in. I'm stumped. Unless is somehow came from the combustion chamber and back through the intake but that doesn't seem possible...

Does anyone at all have any experience with this??? Or maybe I'm seeing things...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts