Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 37 F on my commute to work this morning. What do you guys wear to keep the chill off on these cooler mornings?

Brad

·
Registered
119 Posts
A Chevrolet Tahoe

·
Registered
881 Posts
my friend a i just had this conversation on fri. he rides all year long even in the 20's. between my f-150 getting 8 mpg & my enjoyment of motorcycle riding im looking to extend my riding season as long as i can. here's what he said.

Do the long johns leave ya too hot at work though? If your legs aren't warm enough, wear wind pants over your jeans. I do that. Angelo here wore long johns and said his legs were cold just from Dunmore. he bought wind pants like I told him and he ditched the long johns. The wind gets through the pants and long johns. I wear long johns only when I go on 1 hr plus rides because with wind pants the jeans insulate enough. Angelo also said he liked not wearing long johns because he sweated at work and had to remove them.
Just make sure the outside layer of gloves is windproof to keep cold out and enough thinsulate (polyester) inside to keep warm in. But when it gets under 20... things change... any skin and it's OUCH!!!

I look for the proper design of the layers and I'll get it at Walmart or maybe Dicks if they have cheap ones. Polyester is polyester... underarmour is just that but it's got a fancy logo. Most the insulators like thinsulate and others are just polyester. Wrap it in windproof nylon and then it's something good.
Look at pics of the people on Everest. They can't wear heavy stuff, leather is death when wet and they look like they are in light gear. Proper layering.

The only way to Layer:

Nylon, Gortex,Leather
Wool, Polyester, lycra, spandex
Skin

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Cheap-O here, and it works great for me in the NW winters: HiVis jacket ($39 on eBay), snowmobile bibs ($29 at Big 5 sporting goods) w/snowmobile gloves. Below 35, I wear insulated long johns. I enjoy cool to cold weather riding (see my thread for rply's)

DT

·
Registered
387 Posts
get a baclava for your head! it fits nicely under helmet.
gloves off course and wear layers everywhere else and enjoy the cool winds.....brrr
You want him to wear a sweet, sticky pastry on his head? May not keep you warm, but it will keep you from getting hungry. :)

Balaclava. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
You want him to wear a sweet, sticky pastry on his head? May not keep you warm, but it will keep you from getting hungry. :)

Balaclava. :)

Now THAT made me bust out laughing. I about blew snot on the 'puter screen.

:D

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I wear all my milltary cold weather gear..wich equates to a fleece jacket
, fleece bibs
, and wind jacket/pantshttp://www.uscalvary.com/prodinfo/images%5C30496.jpg, and wind resistant gloves

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Wearing a balaclava is THE way to keep your neck/face/head warm.

Good wind-proof gloves are essential.

Carhartt insulated bibs are very warm.

Layering is, of course, the best overall strategy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wear Gortex trousers over my jeans.
I wear 6 sets of clothes for body.
Tshirt, shirt, wollen jumper, coveralls, snap on coat very thick, and rain jacket, protects good evan at 18 degree's.I wear 2 pairs of socks all day with regular work boots.
I ride 50 miles each way.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
With my Plexister 2 shield It cuts alot of the wind. I use thinsulate leather gloves, t-shirt w/insulated leather jacket, long johns (insulated underwear) w/jeans, leather chaps, thinsulate socks and Milwaukee harness boots. I stay nice and comfy. :smiley_th

1 - 13 of 13 Posts