Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I have a quick question and i'm not sure which category it should be placed. I'm just finishing a rebuild of a 1995 750 that was imported from Spain into the UK, its in great condition for the year because of the lack of rain and salt. My question is... Its a Kilometers per hour speedo and I want to switch to Miles per hour. I can get a little mechanical converter that changes the speedo cable ratio but the clocks usabe display is condensed down to a third of its display. If I switch to a miles per hour front wheel pickup for the speedo and switch the speedo to an imperial version I assume i'm sorted. I guess the confirmation I'm after is that there's no difference in the actual wheel just the pickup and speedometer. Thanks.

·
2003 Vulcan 750/Sidecar
90 Posts
Hello

I have a cheap Chinese scooter for short trips in town. Speedo is in kilometers. I've found that multiplying the first digit of the speed by 6 gives a "guestimate" of MPH.

Maybe that will help until you do the mechanical stuff.

Cheers!

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Mine has both markings although he KPH is a not very obvious blue and smaller typeface.

I would bet they just change the faces, not the gearing or internals.

If you use a GPS then you will get a more accurate speed than the sppedo.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
My guess is, no difference in the wheel. Would be a huge expense for the manufacturer to make a different wheel for KPH.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Honestly I have found that there are only a few "speeds" you need to know when riding.(depending where you live and if your intent is just to avoid a ticket.)
I put a tiny dot of red floresant paint at 60 mph on the edge of the bezel and a yellow one at 45, the two most popular speed limits here. Thus I just can see at a quick glance how fast I am going.
There are simple kpm to mph calculators online. Just pick the speeds you need to know and mark them.
The only other option is to find a user working speedometer that has mph on it.

I really don't pay much attention to the thing anyway... ;)

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Even if converted, without the oversize front tire, it's still off. Isn't it? Consensus is, yes, with stock size the indicated speed reads 5 mph faster than actual speed, so you'll always be slower this way.

Never rode with a stock size front, so didn't check. But i know with oversize it's within 1mph with the oversize, checked six ways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts