Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -
Is it possible to convert the rear brake on the 87 750 from Drum to disk?
If so what is the process?

Thanks
Andrew

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Anything is posable if you go tthe money, I would not see a great improvement verses the cost though. You would need a new rim that will accept the shaft drive and maby modify the swing arm, and a hydrolic system for the rear.
If you do it would be great to see pictures.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If you search back though the threads, this question has come up at least two or three times in the three years that I have been frequenting this board. As Ccspinner says- anything is possible with enough money, time and skills. In the considered wisdom of the group, the consensus seemed to be that the project would be more trouble than it was worth.

You can lock up the rear wheel with the drum brake already, so why do you need a more powerful rear disc brake?

As a purely technical exercise, it might provide an interesting challenge to some mechanically talented individuals. But that is the only reason I would consider for doing it.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
The 1996 Vulcan 88 I just fixed for a guy had a rear disc. Maybe the wheel and pedal and etc might fit our bike. Looks pretty close

·
Registered
748 Posts
The 1996 Vulcan 88 I just fixed for a guy had a rear disc. Maybe the wheel and pedal and etc might fit our bike. Looks pretty close
Looks ain't everything; checked out that possibility when I first got my 1500A. Bevel gear output shaft way bigger on the 88, as is the input to the final drive. Still, that's not to say there isn't something out there that'd work; just takes some looking. After all, a 16" Nomad wheel can be made to fit the Vulcan 88...

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you search back though the threads, this question has come up at least two or three times in the three years that I have been frequenting this board. As Ccspinner says- anything is possible with enough money, time and skills. In the considered wisdom of the group, the consensus seemed to be that the project would be more trouble than it was worth.

You can lock up the rear wheel with the drum brake already, so why do you need a more powerful rear disc brake?

As a purely technical exercise, it might provide an interesting challenge to some mechanically talented individuals. But that is the only reason I would consider for doing it.
The only reason that I asked would be for maintenance - changing a disk pad is a lot easier that a drum brake.

Thats all
:)

Thanks for the replies
Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts