Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, first time poster....have a line on an 87 that a guy is selling for $500, and it looks interesting. Said it was his daily rider until it just stopped shifting into gear, says the shifter feels "loose"....

Read up here on similar problems and seems like something that's readily fixable. I tore down, powder coated 80% of the frame and parts, and rebuilt my 97 Honda ACE 1100 last winter so I can't imagine getting too intimidated spliting the motor to replace a shift fork or anything else in there....plus, it'd be great to have a solid start to go nuts chopping it!

So, my question to all here is: what should I look for, or more importantly, look OUT for?

thanks all...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Hey welcome to the group! There are plenty of experts on the shifter and clutch area of the bike so sit tight, they'll be here. Other things to look for on the bike would be how the electrical charging system is doing. You can get a good idea if the bike will start by putting a meter on the battery and see what the voltage looks like when idling, then revving up to about 4K. Should be around 12-12.5 volts idling, and jump up to 13.5-14 volts when you rev it up.
Of course the obvious stuff like tires and brakes, but these can easily be replaced. Lance has been giving out shifter changer info like candy lately so maybe he will chime in on what you need to do. Good luck with it all.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
If you are that mechanical, definitely go for it.

Did we mention charging system?

Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, guys....if it's something in the tranny, I'm on it like a fat kid on smarties, but if its this spline issue I've read about, that makes me less entusiastic, as I saw the prices of a new shaft online....EEP!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
hey brother it may not be in the cases at all if is stuck in nutral chances are a spring popped loose in the shift pawl behind the transmission cover.... the other issues that it could be broken or bent rod but this would result in a real sloppy or stiff shift pedal.... the rod is barried between the cases and would require a split ... my shifter broke which inspired last june there are a few great threads ie the "journey" series by jthill for complete pic and engine rebuild pics..... .im aimin or the spring cause out of a bunch of cases this tends to be it..... another thing to consider on these olderbikes esp if they sat is rotten rubber (o-rings dampeners ect....) and if u do tear into the motor these should all be replaced.... get the scoot we'll walk u through anything u may encounter....

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Buy it. Worse case would be you part it out and make more money.

DT

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Cheers, guys....if it's something in the tranny, I'm on it like a fat kid on smarties, but if its this spline issue I've read about, that makes me less entusiastic, as I saw the prices of a new shaft online....EEP!
You'll see used ones in great shape pretty often on ebay. Think I got mine for $25 + shipping. The lube is easy to do with the procedure in fergy's signature. Mine were dry from the factory, but still in very good shape. Just lubed them up and good to go for 10,000 miles or next rear tire change, whichever comes first!

Welcome to the forum. Where you at? I just bought an '87 that put a balancer through the front of the case. Had the PO been checking for disintegrating rubber bits in the oil screen, probably could have prevented it, but would require an engine pull to replace.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Age is nothing. It has to do with miles and treatment during that time. I have an '87 that runs like a champ! I have only had to give it a little TLC and some cosmetic updates. I have less than $1500 in it and that includes everything that I have done to it minus gas and insurance!

Good luck man! This is DEFINITELY a good place to use as a resource. Nice folks, too. Get a manual. I can shoot you a copy of mine if you give me your email. There is a link to it that I downloaded mine from. Can't remember where, tho.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Were I you, I would definitely buy it. This thread alone shows how helpful this site is. And like dirtrack said, if the 87 turns out to be too problematic, just part it. Although the folks here can and will help you diagnose and fix the bike. You sound like you've turned a wrench or 2 as well. Besides if all else fails you can hit Lance up. He knows so much about this bike we're pretty sure he actually was one in his former life. Its been said before but it works here too: this website is a good reason to get a Vulcan 750. :motorcycl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts