Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my regulator with a Electro unit. Before replacement, the freshly charged battery was showing11.9 volts with the engine idleing. Agter the new RR was installed, the freshly charged battery shows 12.2, that rises to 12.7 at 3500 r.p.m.. That seems too low to me. The resistance between the yellow wires of the stator seem to be in spec (.3-.5 ohms). Any idea why the voltage is so low? Bike is a 1987 750 with 18000 miles.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
humm...do you have a MF battery? Sounds like my senario too much. Here is what you got. If its a regular battery, then you boiled it off, which is why your charge is low (fully charged even on an old battery should be 12+ volts). Now that the battery was fried, the regulator over compensated for the dead battery, shorting out the stator. now the regulator may or may not be ok, there is a fault finding guide in the Vulcan verses. Also to verify its the stator, have an assistant rev the engine as mentioned above from global recon. Sadly i am 80% sure that the stator is toast too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts