Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking as i need to pull my heads off this next week to replace some leaky base gaskets.
Do I need a special tool? from what i've heard I could use my fingers to compress the rings enough to slip in, but didn't know if I should just pull the trigger on a tool first ? I don't "plan" on taking the heads off frequently :) so if i don't have to buy the tool. i'll be happy for sure. But if it'll make my life easy while the engine is out, that'll be a plus!

if yes
what tools do you recommend?

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Yes, on most motorcycle engines the cylinder has a bevel or taper at the bottom. So as you're sliding the cylinder down over the rings, the bevel helps compress the ring. Just need to squeeze them a bit with your fingertips.

Bevel seen at the top of this pic, if the link works (click on third pic and zoom in):

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah perfect, thank you! just wanted to make sure.
I don't drink anymore, but if we ever cross paths, I owe you a beer... you've helped me so much

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
It can be done without the ring compressor, it just takes a little time. The critical part is the gasket. Those long narrow holes are coolant passages, and the gasket is VERY narrow on both sides of the coolant passages. If that gasket is out of place even slightly, you will have a coolant leak. A design problem IMO, they should have allowed more surface area around the coolant passages.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, of course, the first piston went in fine with the front cylinder - but with the second piston, even going slow, the bottom oil ring snagged on the cylinder and bent it :( the walls are fine, but the ring didn't survive.
i ordered a new set of rings... but should be here hopefully this week sometime. but now i need to possibly get a ring grinder. This thing is nickle and diming me to death, but it's all been a learning expierence, so could be worse, i AM having fun doing this, but it's hard when little things keep breaking.
I've had the bike about a month, but i've only ridden it about a week or so in total.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You might want to check with your local AutoZone to see if they have a loaner ring compressor. They very well may. I have several so cannot speak from experience but I do know they have lots of things they will let you use with a deposit.

Also, I think you could make one that would work out of a worm drive clamp and a piece of plastic from a soda bottle. I was told by a friend once that he cut the plastic large enough to make a "funnel" that he slid the piston down into the cyliner with. The gap on the rings is usually large enough for his method to work on a lawnmower and could probably work on a motorcycle piston. However a ring compressor is not usually that expensive and they last forever.

Reactions: Rivenin

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
Hose clamps work

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rivenin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts