Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to give these bulbous gauges a slimming, especially if I plan to switch to clubmans, but I'm not sure if this is applicable:

ebay.com/itm/171231326652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or if I must go retro with a single speed/voltmeter combo.
Sorry, I can't post links. -__-

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Where do you connect the speedo? Or do you have to run something else to the tire? It's cool looking. I'd change mine perhaps if it works.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
those typically use a magnetic sensor that gets mounted to the fork, with a magnet on the wheel someplace. then you go program in how many revs=mph (method for that varies, from actually running at a certain speed, to entering the wheel circ.)

I had toyed with the idea for a while, but decided I had better things to spend my money on at the time

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
those typically use a magnetic sensor that gets mounted to the fork, with a magnet on the wheel someplace. then you go program in how many revs=mph (method for that varies, from actually running at a certain speed, to entering the wheel circ.)
X2:smiley_th

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running the magnet wouldn't be that bad, its the wiring that I'm worried about. I haven't delved into the electronics yet, so I don't know if its plug and play, or if I'm going to have to ghetto rig it in there. Any idea if those wiring harnesses are appropriate?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
usually only wiring that will apply to our bikes is:

power (usually 1 switched 12v, 1 constant 12v, one ground)
tach 1 wire
turn signal indicators (1 wire each direction)
Neutral indicator (1 wire)
high/low beam (1 wire)
oil light (1 wire)

those are the major ones (and they may vary depending on the unit)

some also have gear position indicators, which may be calculated by rpm/speed input, or some have actual inputs from switch(s).

basically, NONE will be plug and play on our bikes. we dont have the electronics in them to make that even remotely an option. Newer computer controlled bikes may have that ability, but usually a universal cluster like that will require connecting wires to various others that exist on the wiring harness

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Running the magnet wouldn't be that bad, its the wiring that I'm worried about. I haven't delved into the electronics yet, so I don't know if its plug and play, or if I'm going to have to ghetto rig it in there. Any idea if those wiring harnesses are appropriate?
A former member on here used that same speedo set up... he had to dissect the stock wiring harness in the headlight bucket to get the correct feeds for the sensors... It wasn't that bad (I helped him trace wires by phone) the hardest part of the ordeal was having the patience to track down the needed wires.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
right slim, it wasnt me who did it, but I have looked into it myself.. again, not 'hard', but it can be 'trying' as you sort out the wires needed.

the universal units do have a very wide range of inputs (meaning they work with most anything once the right wires are hooked up). Some units instructions are better than others too.

if at all possible, before you commit to a unit, see if the directions are downloadable, and give them a good look over to see if your up to the challenge

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
When my Harley tank is done, Im mounting my stocks (with new faces) in tandem in the tank console.....already got it drawn up....might end up leaving the tach out though...I dont need it....

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Is that the drag specialties? That's what I plan on getting.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
When my Harley tank is done, Im mounting my stocks (with new faces) in tandem in the tank console.....already got it drawn up....might end up leaving the tach out though...I dont need it....
Really, I live by the tach. I am the tach. With out the tach I would be nothing.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts