Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a problem with the cheap plastic compartment cover on the back of their seat? My cover came off during ride and I almost lost the tools and other papers. Is there anything I can do to buy or make a replacement? Thanks, Tom

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Oh yeah, we all have that trouble , you're in good company :). I used duct tape on mine to make a hinge and so far its lasted 4 years (should re-do it by now tho I guess) but others have use hinges from local hardware stores. Also the lock can unscrew and come out so you should put some thread lock on it.

Oh sorry, you actually lost it? Well, they do show up on ebay or you could put a wanted post in the sell or swap section. Theres a guy who make covers out if wood that are real nice. I'll see if I can find the link and update it here.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I have been making covers out of wood and upholstering them with marine grade vinyl. I'm working on a full replacement for the top and bottom pieces reusing the lock and reflector.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Me...

I cut a square from an old antifreeze can, then JB welded it back together...I just glued to the cover though, not the box, so acts like a tab. Works great. I can see myself taking an ornate brass hinge too, and adding that....then again, gonna change seat and cut the sissy down some, so prolly wont have the box anymore....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
1,100 Posts
I have been making covers out of wood and upholstering them with marine grade vinyl. I'm working on a full replacement for the top and bottom pieces reusing the lock and reflector.
Mine is in good shape but I would definitely be interested in what you come up with for a full replacement. I would like to have a thinner box that is flush with the chrome back of the seat. Do ypu have any pictures of your work?

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
lost one then used duct tape as a hinge on the inside on the replacement

seems like most of us have the top loose from the bottom piece and have to figure a way to keep hold of it

i just changed my seat to a vn900 seat so i dont have to worry about it no more

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine is held on by what seems to be a regular door hinge and I've now lost two locks :-/ Haven't bought a third yet.

After I lost my second lock I was advised to put a dab of silicone on the nut that fixes the lock to the door, but I haven't gotten a third one yet. The door is just held on by a wire that I tied up to hold it.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Mine is in good shape but I would definitely be interested in what you come up with for a full replacement. I would like to have a thinner box that is flush with the chrome back of the seat. Do ypu have any pictures of your work?
no pics yet, not even a prototype. Its kinda something I am working on because of my rack design. I can however work a little harder if it is something that would help you out. I am thinking of still using the back inside "box" portion and replacing the front cover.

Essentially it is going to be flush when closed. I am thinking of a hinge inside and one solid piece of vinyl on the back to make it kind of hidden. Just some weather stripping on the edges and it should resist water nicely. The nice thing with doing it this way is i can actually make the door opening larger or smaller than the stock box.

Let me know if something like this sounds like what you are looking for and i will whip one up for you.

·
1,100 Posts
Sounds like you have some great ideas about it. i like your thought on a one piece look. No rush tho, just keep me in mind. I'm sure others will be interested too. Mine works fine and I painted it so it doesn't look so....uh platsicy, ha ha.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...heh...

....I just painted a blue wolf's pawprint on mine...looks cool...:)

·
1,100 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
ahhh

....you know I will bro....trying to get more done before adding new pics....

...and just a thought....wouldnt that rear box (seein how so small) be a great place to load up James Bond type stuff ?...
Say, ya got some 1978 Delta 88 tailgating you...(I was nailed by a rabbi's Delta 88 driven by an illegal iranian immigrant....honest)...so, you pull a lil pull-choke type thingie near yer dash, and the cable opens the door and releases a spring loaded sticky sheet of white plastic that sticks itself to tailgater's windshield......gods, I can be evil....but Im good at it !

·
1,100 Posts
Lmao, I definitely want to see the lo-down on that upgrade man! It could be a
combo box of Bond / Inspector Gadget goodies. You know, the latter being for rider conveniences, like coffee brewing, weather control, or shoulder massage robotics (for the long rides). Bond mode would be reserved to inflict revenge on dolts causing threats to the rider, ;)

Think the rain has gotten to me my friend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts