Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize Rain Gear has been threaded on here countless times. I am looking for rain gear that doesn't take up much room and that I can stuff in a saddle bag and pull it out when I need it (like when I was surprised last year).

I am considering the Frogg Toggs.

Last year I had a cheap rain suit I got at Academy Sports. It did good for the 3+ hour ride in the rain but wasn't durable to make it with out damage. It was torn enough that I had to toss it.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this type of rain gear.

(please feel free to move this post if it belongs elsewhere)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I realize Rain Gear has been threaded on here countless times. I am looking for rain gear that doesn't take up much room and that I can stuff in a saddle bag and pull it out when I need it (like when I was surprised last year).

I am considering the Frogg Toggs.

Last year I had a cheap rain suit I got at Academy Sports. It did good for the 3+ hour ride in the rain but wasn't durable to make it with out damage. It was torn enough that I had to toss it.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this type of rain gear.

(please feel free to move this post if it belongs elsewhere)
Frogg Toggs are good stuf and they make a motorcycle specific line called Road Toads.

Here is a tip. Rain gear is something you want to fit a s snugly as comfortable so they don't flap too much.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
just throw some heavy duty trash bags in your saddle bags and forget about it.

or you could go with what denny6006 said "Road Toads". I have some and they are really nice. they have reflective piping and are made for riding.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
just throw some heavy duty trash bags in your saddle bags and forget about it
Exactly !...cheap, lite and disposable...I used to precut holes for my arms though....they even got them fancy silver colored ones now that will reflect...and hay, they even got a drawstring !...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
Exactly !...cheap, lite and disposable...I used to precut holes for my arms though....they even got them fancy silver colored ones now that will reflect...and hay, they even got a drawstring !...
hey Wolf, did you cut a hole for your head or did you just ride with the bag over your head? :doh: lol

also, they take up no room in your saddle bags! the down side to Road Toads are a little bulky. :( 1 set takes up about have of 1 of my saddle bags.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Fergot to write that...and before I had saddlebags and such, Id just zip tie em to the frame somewhere....theyd even fit in the VN toolbox, lol...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
ok all here is my set up, fits in a ziplock bag IN THE SADDLE bag.

first gear rain coat (thin water proof material) first gear rain pants, more thin material (but set up for motorcycling so the pants feel good and are comfy).

I have these large rubber gloves that roll up into a small bag, i would have to check the name, but there is a thumb and two 'spots' for two fingers each, when you wave you look like "VULCAN" symbol. Then for feet I have these things that go over the sole of the boot, and there is thin water proof material that goes under the first gear pants.

I have ridden like this in snow, monsoons, hurricanes and actually had somebody spraying me with a hose, never got anything wet except where it dripped down my neck.

note - the first gear stuff is also all retro reflective which is very good.

Kenny

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could definitely come up with some trash bags - LoL

Road Toadz might be the way to go - I need to go take a look at them.

I'm not familiar with First Gear - have to check that out too.

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
Hay I just had an idea. Instead of going out and buying new riding fear to be used only occasionally why no invest in some water proffer and treat your regular riding gear. I've use kiwi brand water repellent on m boots, backpack, tent, and outher camping gear an it's always worked great. Plus I can get the stuff at Walmart lol. I haven't tryed it on my riding gear yet cause like I said it just occurred to me. My leather jacket is already water proof but I have some windbreaker pants and my boots that could benifit from a cupple of coats.

Ill post the results when I get a chance to try it:) in the mean time I think that waterproofing your existing gear would be the way to go. Then u arnt out 80 to 100 on a good suit that won't come apart and u do t have to take up space in your bags for things u might or might not need.

I have bought a cheep rain suit at Kmart for 10 bucks. It was a vynal 2 peace and it worked good till the crotch ripped out geting onto the bike. Lol.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
You can just buy waterproof gear to start with....;)

It depends to me on how hard it's raining....and how cold it is. If its 95 out, I'd rather get wet and stay cool than to sweat in raingear..
I had a lot of trouble finding medium temperature riding gear that is waterproof.

Which is why I went with the first gear setup i now have. I don't sweat either.

Kenny

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Personally I love my frogg togs. They come with a handy little bag that they roll up into.
I don't think they take up too much space but then again my bags are bigger than most.
Basically I dedicate one back to items I may need on a ride & the other is for what ever.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Frogg Toggs seem affordable for how often I think I will be wearing them.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...save bucks for more beer....get Hefty brand raingear...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
How often does it rain when riding in your neck of the woods ?
:smiley_th

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i will say the first gear was a tad pricey, but i figured it wont go bad and beetter to be comfy on a bike with proper gear then to be pissed off with a standad rain gear made for standing in

good luck on choice!

·
Registered
194 Posts
frogg toggs are the bomb... not too pricey, very compact, and much appreciated in a downpour. fits easy in the saddlebag. comfortable to wear. will last many years, just watch the hot pipes.

my "usual" ride is about 200 miles r/t and a lot can change 100 miles north. i never ride without 'em in the bag. 100 miles in the rain without the gear sux really bad!!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Gear is also relative to the temps...if Im riding in 90 deg, who cares if its raining....if its 45 out, Id want something more like Mercs, but then again, Id probably stop at a nearby bar first and wait it out, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts