Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the riding season in the northeast. I am still out riding back and forth to work. Got caught in the rain a bit yesterday, no thanks to accu-weather. just wondering how many are still out and when everyone plans on packing it in for the year?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Still out, trying to fix up stuff and testing it out to see if the fixes worked lol. I've taken it to school a few times and I think I'll do it again today. It was pretty hot here all day, so I think weather won't be bad.

I do plan on getting some winter gear so I can ride later on as well... don't really know how much cold will get me to stop riding... never snows here, but does get very very cold sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I ride year round. I will NOT ride if the roads are covered with snow, ice, or that slushy goo of snow and too much road salt. If the roads are dry, I'll go out. I do try and avoid below freezing temps....as "black ice" seems to hit the roads around here.

See the posts on winter gear.

KM

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Ride all year. Even with good gear, the extremities get chilly when it's in the 20's, but only ride about 35 minutes to get where I'm going.

·
2,527 Posts
I work nights, so it was 60'ish coming in last night and it should be about 43 degrees on the way home this morning. I have a feeling it won't be long till she goes in storage in my pop's garage. I'm holding out as long as possible.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I'm in central Jersey but I ride year round. I have a tender but I usually just fire her up at least every weekend. Once she's purrin' I can't help throwing gear on and takin' a ride.

That happened last year. It was about 19 outside, wind chill was 13. They were calling for snow to start at 6 p.m. so I went out around 3. On one of the back roads, I decided to legally pass a slow moving dump truck. I realized when I passed it why it was so slow, it was throwing salt. I decided then it was time for the garage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was in the 60's or so when I went in last night, had to stay longer then I planned and it was in the 30's. I should have had a bit more insulation with me that's for sure. If If ride today I will be packin more gear, better gloves for one and better pants. I had my leather jacket with a hoodie under it which was fine, the extremities needed more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our riding season is really just beginning. Yeah, I ride during the summer... but it can be brutal when the mercury hits the one-teens.

Soon, though, I may not be riding too far north. No desire to navigate icy conditions.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
3-teen, 4-teen, 5-teen and so on all the way to 9-teen. :rockon:

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I ride every day I can. I work night shift, so it's cool when I leave home and cold when I return.
I used to ride 'til it got down around 36 or 38. But as I get older that is less true. I will find my new limits this winter. I don't ride on ice or slush, and if it is raining hard or likely to, I drive the cage. Same with high winds.
I have electric gloves, good jacket, snowmobile pants, and a twenty five minute ride, depending on lights. Riding a different bike now, so that should help.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What's a one-teen?
Round here if someone over 21 is dating an 18/19 yr old we say they are dating a 10-teen and if they need a permission slip for R movies. lol

I'm thinking he was talking temps of 113 and above seeing how he is in AZ. lol
I've been down there riding in 110 temps and it was hot no matter how fast you go!

I envy you folks in the Southern/Western states that can ride year round. Once snow falls here there is no way I get out on the bike even if the roads look clear. Black ice you can't see plus all the sand they put down on the roads. So I just get my snowmobiles out and have fun that way. Plus that is the time I work on my bikes so I don't miss out on prime riding weather. :motorcycl

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Still out myself. In fact it's been in the 70's and 80's in the afternoon on the way home from work.

I ride year round no matter what the temp. As long as the road is safely rideable, I'm on the bike. The biggest problem we have here in GA is black ice around the middle to end of winter. But as long as the road is dry and ice free, I can always find a way to stay warm enough to ride. Hell my father did it on a '85 Honda Goldwing from '87-'95, 25 miles each way to work almost everyday, sometimes even in the snow before finally selling it in '96. So I figure if he can do it, so can I. I'm not ready to ride in any kind of snow yet though lol.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
I'm still out and will be all year. But much like others I don't ride if the temps get below 40.

R

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I live in the U.P., but work in south central Wisconsin. I'm still riding down here. Don't know if I'll be taking any more rides home for the weekend, though. I would this weekend, but I gotta use my truck to haul some wood. I've already ridden in the upper 20's this Fall. We've had some beautiful Indian Summer weather these last couple of weeks, but it's coming to an end.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Yup, I live in Massachusetts. 6 o'clock AM is when I leave for work. Doggon cold. Afternoons are not bad, but I cant take less than 45 degrees in the morning to ride in.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
The range of temperatures between 110 and 120, for example one hundred and sixteen.
I see, thanks man. I've done 102 with 100% humidity. It felt like ridin' in a bowl a soup. I think I could do a one-teen ride if the humidity was bearable. If not, no way.

I remember one day this passed Summer it was 99 degrees and 100% humidity for like the 26th day in a row. Of course the air conditioner died from overuse. Me and the girlfriend rode to the airport and took a ride in the heli just to escape the oppressive heat. Doors off, I took her to 3000 feet. The OATs (outside air temperature) read 73 with no humidity. It was AWESOME!! The only part sucked was landing again - right back into the bowl of soup.

37 degrees this morning on the way in BTW...

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Of the riding season in the northeast. I am still out riding back and forth to work. Got caught in the rain a bit yesterday, no thanks to accu-weather. just wondering how many are still out and when everyone plans on packing it in for the year?
I rode home from work this morning in cold rain. Not fun. Ten years ago I did that all the time, but I was younger. Hey--TEN YEARS YOUNGER! :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts