Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know I'm a nobody here. I last logged in in 2016 (when I bought my project 750) and havent logged in since that first post. but this is just a friendly reminder that sometimes we all make mistakes. Very Long story short I bought a cheap non running 86 vulcan 750 and it sat in my garage for over 5 years. It didnt run even though I'd swear up and down that yes I put the carb back together properly (I did not) and yes, I put the heads back together properly (I did but one of the rocker arms was not sitting on the valve stem properly causing it to keep the exhaust valve slightly open) I made many mistakes that caused me to give up many times on this bike. and all of these could have been avoided if I paid a little more attention to what I was doing and more importantly was willing to go back and look at the work I'd already done. When I got the bike the balancer dampers were shattered and the balancer bolt had actually backed out which sent debris and metal all throughout the engine. I took the carbs apart to clean and basically put them back together wrong. after 5 years when I finally got the bike running I took it for a 2 minute ride down the street and it was seeping oil from every gasket so I decided enough was enough and took the engine as apart as I felt comfortable with and a little farther and split the case halves. The amount of gunk and metal shavings inside the case was astonishing. after cleaning it all up and applying some fresh engine assembly lube my 5 years of work finally culminated in a 150 mile ride around mount rainier with my father (who rides a 90's vulcan 1500 classic, very nice looking harley wannabe) and it was probably the most fun I've had on two wheels. there was just something special about conquering this project getting to share it with my dad.

So once again long story short never assume you're too good to make mistakes, even on the most simple stuff.

Hope this is a good place to post this. just wanted to make my entry into this website again.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Hey all, I know I'm a nobody here. I last logged in in 2016 (when I bought my project 750) and havent logged in since that first post. but this is just a friendly reminder that sometimes we all make mistakes. Very Long story short I bought a cheap non running 86 vulcan 750 and it sat in my garage for over 5 years. It didnt run even though I'd swear up and down that yes I put the carb back together properly (I did not) and yes, I put the heads back together properly (I did but one of the rocker arms was not sitting on the valve stem properly causing it to keep the exhaust valve slightly open) I made many mistakes that caused me to give up many times on this bike. and all of these could have been avoided if I paid a little more attention to what I was doing and more importantly was willing to go back and look at the work I'd already done. When I got the bike the balancer dampers were shattered and the balancer bolt had actually backed out which sent debris and metal all throughout the engine. I took the carbs apart to clean and basically put them back together wrong. after 5 years when I finally got the bike running I took it for a 2 minute ride down the street and it was seeping oil from every gasket so I decided enough was enough and took the engine as apart as I felt comfortable with and a little farther and split the case halves. The amount of gunk and metal shavings inside the case was astonishing. after cleaning it all up and applying some fresh engine assembly lube my 5 years of work finally culminated in a 150 mile ride around mount rainier with my father (who rides a 90's vulcan 1500 classic, very nice looking harley wannabe) and it was probably the most fun I've had on two wheels. there was just something special about conquering this project getting to share it with my dad.

So once again long story short never assume you're too good to make mistakes, even on the most simple stuff.

Hope this is a good place to post this. just wanted to make my entry into this website again.
Welcome back . Your mistake was no mistake “ Ride with your Dad “ priceless !!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,426 Posts
Welcome back to the nucking futhouse. We are all nobody's here

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: mmart

·
Registered
715 Posts
Welcome back! I'm glad your mistakes weren't permanent. It's always good to be back on the road!

I attempted to rebuild my engine a couple of years ago. I made the same mistake with an exhaust valve, where the rocker held the valve open. I corrected that mistake and went out for a ride. I went just about 10 miles before one of the intake valves on the other cylinder dropped into the cylinder and went for a nasty ride before locking the motor. Total loss on the engine. I'm still not sure what I did wrong, other than thinking I had the ability to rebuild a motor.

Fortunately I was able to purchase another from a forum member, and I've put 10k on it to date. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sweet story. I just rode Skate Creek from Packwood to Mountain HWY. Excellent.
As a father, riding with my son, those are memories both shall treasure. Where you at? I'm thinking riding FS25 from Cougar to Windy Ridge to Randal soon. Fall colors and St.Helens from the back side.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts