Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today it was about 37 and sunny so I took her out for a ride. She seemed to start ok but where it usually starts to rev above 2K shortly after starting (which is when I back down the choke to keep her at about 1.5K until shes warm) I couldn't get her off choke. When I tried she would die. When I finally thought she was warm I took her around the block but she was running rough and sputtered between 2K and 3K. She smooths out above 3K but she's not done this before and I was wondering if it was the cold causing her to act up. Any ideas?

R

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Got Sea Foam?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Today it was about 37 and sunny so I took her out for a ride. She seemed to start ok but where it usually starts to rev above 2K shortly after starting (which is when I back down the choke to keep her at about 1.5K until shes warm) I couldn't get her off choke. When I tried she would die. When I finally thought she was warm I took her around the block but she was running rough and sputtered between 2K and 3K. She's smooth out above 3K but she's not done this before and I was wondering if it was the cold causing her to act up. Any ideas?

R
Air is alot denser at 37 than at 65 which means you need more fuel for proper combustion at 37 intil the engine warms up. At cold temperatures the air molecules shrink allowing more air to occupy the same space causing a lean fuel condition. As the engine warms so does the incoming air and the air molecules expand requiring less fuel. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You've probably gotten some moisture in the fuel system with the time off from riding and the warmer temps, especially if you haven't used seafoam in your fuel to help keep things stabilized. If not, get some in there asap and let it go to work. You'll be glad you did.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use seafoam on a regular basis however last time I filled the tank I ran out after about putting about an oz in the tank (label says about an oz per gal of fuel). That and keeping the choke on until it's fully warm might solve this problem. I'll try and let you know the results.

Thanks all for your input. I'd be up a creek without this group.

R

·
Registered
411 Posts
My personal best for "cold" weather riding is a 25-ish mile ride to work at 27 degrees. When I start my bike in those temps, I have her on full choke and leave her there until her RPMs hit about 4k. Once that happens, I know that I can safely back off the choke (reducing the RPMs to around 1100) without worrying about her stalling. At those temps, waiting for her to hit 4k can take several minutes...

--FA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts