Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on riding my '85 thu the winter if I can. At times, temps get to single digits here (not counting wind chill). Manual suggests a 50/50 mix (good to 31F). Should I go 75% coolant and 25% water for the winter ? I just took a 50 mile ride w/her and ran great. Wanna make sure I got enough protection. Mebbe some of our Canadian brothers would know.....thx in advance...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Off the top of my head, a 50/50 mix should take you well below zero degrees farenheit

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...

Will do the 50/50 then and pray...
And Kelly, just got it inspected yesterday, so now 100% legal....just waitin on a warmer day w/o wind (she's 45 mi away)...inspection was only 23 mi away,but was windy crossing the onion fields....gusts caught me by surprise a cupla times....thinkin mebbe Sat or Sun...less wind and sunny....thanks for asking bro ! :smiley_th:beerchug:

Added question...bike had the green in it when I got it...my daughter bought a special red stuff for her aluminum Volvo....anyone know the diff ? Im thinking the red is meant more fore aluminum (or for the Brits, aluminium)...being an '85, the cooling jacket is probably already a bit clogged...Ive never gotten higher than half temp on the gauge yet, but hasnt been warm either.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool.....

Very cool....thanks Kelly........just need to flush it now and put the new in then....I see ya gotta bleed the air too (damn !)...*siiiigh*....
But lookin good for Mom's on Monday....:smiley_th

·
Registered
736 Posts
Very cool....thanks Kelly........just need to flush it now and put the new in then....I see ya gotta bleed the air too (damn !)...*siiiigh*....
But lookin good for Mom's on Monday....:smiley_th
Don't forget to used DISTILLED WATER in that 50/50 mix. Never use tap, rain or spring. As for the bleeding, it is easy. The bleeding valve can be reached without removing the gas tank.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Will do the 50/50 then and pray...
And Kelly, just got it inspected yesterday, so now 100% legal....just waitin on a warmer day w/o wind (she's 45 mi away)...inspection was only 23 mi away,but was windy crossing the onion fields....gusts caught me by surprise a cupla times....thinkin mebbe Sat or Sun...less wind and sunny....thanks for asking bro ! :smiley_th:beerchug:

Added question...bike had the green in it when I got it...my daughter bought a special red stuff for her aluminum Volvo....anyone know the diff ? Im thinking the red is meant more fore aluminum (or for the Brits, aluminium)...being an '85, the cooling jacket is probably already a bit clogged...Ive never gotten higher than half temp on the gauge yet, but hasnt been warm either.
I think the red/orange coolant has more or different corrosion inhibitors, and is what they call "permanent", and is supposed to be good for 5 year drain intervals.
The ordinary green or yellow ethylene glycol coolant is recommended to be changed every two years for maximum corrosion protection, IIRC.

IMHO the darker green coolant will be easier to see in the full/low slot in the cover on the coolant overflow bottle on the bike than the yellow stuff.

Wolfie, I think the coolant jugs have a chart printed on them indicating what temps you get protection for 50%, 60% and 70% concentrations of antifreeze.
I have run a 70/30 mix in my cars and trucks with propane carburetion to avoid freezing up the liquid/vapor converter in extremely cold weather, ie. -30 to 40*F.
You should be fine with a 50/50 mix down to minus 30s *F.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very, very cool !

Thanks all for the quick responses :beerchug:(gettin cold here FAST). I gotta do a de-goat now first though, because on my way to Mom's today the Belly blew out (1" hole). Have all the parts already and will do tomorrow ($16... plus 2, $2 Harley crush gaskets, all found locally...I got a custom Harley shop in hitching distance).
Once I do that, will flush the sys (found the other thread on that) then will refill 60/40 methinks. Its gets into the teens here, and with wind chill added, well, Id rather be safe. First bike in 27 yrs, and Id hate to crack the cooling jacket.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Wind chill doesn't affect the bike, just the rider.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ummm...

Wind chill doesn't affect the bike, just the rider
Wrong, mon ami...it most certainly does. Thats why when I drove log trucks in Adirondack winters, we placed cardboard over the radiators of out diesel trucks (they got fancy zip up things now). And WW1 pilots, when overheating, would decrease throttle and go into slow, gliding dives to increase airflow and lower temps. Airspeed almost HAS to apply to all physical matter.

I swear, Wolfie, you keep things interesting around here! Watch out for ice.
Lol...well gotta do something to keep from gettin bored, lol. And on the bike, I dont go out before 9-10 am in winter. Usually the road crews have it salted/sanded or the sun's gotten to it by then. Besides, these wet autumn leaves are just as bad as any ice !...was on my way to the library the other day, made a turn in the vill here onto a sideroad, and started doing a flattrack move, lol. Good thing I used to race bikes too and remembered how to slide sideways on my boot !

And sorry for my sometimes dumb questions, but its my first water cooled bike. My last bike was a 1971. No fancy electrics, carbs, shafts, nuthin. But this is the only place I know which helps Kawi noobs.
And I figure that good answers to simple questions may help others like me in the future.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Wrong, mon ami...it most certainly does. Thats why when I drove log trucks in Adirondack winters, we placed cardboard over the radiators of out diesel trucks (they got fancy zip up things now). And WW1 pilots, when overheating, would decrease throttle and go into slow, gliding dives to increase airflow and lower temps. Airspeed almost HAS to apply to all physical matter.
No, you are wrong. If you tape a thermometer to the front of your bike when it's 40 degrees outside... No matter how fast you ride it will still read 40 degrees. It's physics dude, they don't lie.

They put covers over the radiators so the engine can get hot and the heater will work better (for the driver) if your motor is overheating and you cut the power and glide ...dropping the rpms is what is keeping it from getting hotter.

If you don't believe me, wait for a chilly day, buy a thermometer and try it yourself. :doh:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya...ok...

...why is it when you blow gently on a spoonful of hot soup, it cools ?...HUH ?
...same principle goes for radiators (we HAD no heaters in our log trucks, btw). AND air cooled engines for that matter. Why do engines overheat faster when stuck in traffic than when cruising nicely at hiway speed, HUH ?...
And Ive flown older biplanes and have done exactly what Ive decribed...it works !...explain THAT.
Why do jets get wing icing at higher speeds, and not so much or not at all at lower speeds ?
And few freestanding thermometers can measure absolute temp, they measure ambient. The water temp gauge measures absolute for the coolant, which this thread is about, because its in direct contact. Now though, if you took a normal thermometer be it mercury or digital with a probe, and measured the temp of your front fender metal before riding, then measured it after a 15 min 55mph ride in 40 degree weather, it will read less than 40 degrees. However, a probe just "left in the wind" will only measure the ambient air temp regardless of speed.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Maybe this will help with some of your misinformation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer

As for the wind chill issue, take a thermometer and tie it on a string. Leave it undisturbed for ten minutes and record the temperature. Then swing it over your head for as long as you like as fast as you care. Record the temperature. Leave it alone for 10 minutes and see if the temperature changes. Hint: it won't.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
.......Now though, if you took a normal thermometer be it mercury or digital with a probe, and measured the temp of your front fender metal before riding, then measured it after a 15 min 55mph ride in 40 degree weather, it will read less than 40 degrees.....
No, it wouldn't. If it's 40 degrees outside... That's as cold as the metal of your fender would get, no matter how fast the 40 degree air moves over it.

All your examples have nothing to do with "wind chil"... Blowing on a spoon of hot soup cools it because the moisture in your breath takes heat off the surface. But will never cool it more than the tempature of your breath no matter how hard you blow.

You are confusing the principles of convection with the effects of wind chill. If your anti freeze is good to -35 degrees... It has to be colder than -35 degrees outside before the antifreeze begins to freeze.Keep in mind this rating is to insure the antifreeze won't freeze while your car or bike sits still. Once you start the motor the antifreeze warms up due to the heat from your motor. But no matter how fast you go in -35 tempature, you still have -35 air moving across whatever you are measuring the tempature of. It can't get colder than that.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Oh,yeah, wings ice up just because it's cold. Ask a jet pilot and he will tell you going faster will warm the wing up.... due to the increased friction of the air on the wing.

Space vehicles hitting our atmosphere at great speeds heat up to really high temps... Even if the air temp at that altitude is below zero. If what you say was true, they would not get hot ...but get colder, and would not need heatsheilds..

Think about it................

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
No need to argue about the definition of wind chill, maybe we can agree to use the Webster definition. The mechanism behind the wind chill temperature drop is that water absorbs heat from your skin as it evaporates.
Main Entry: wind·chill
Pronunciation: \ˈwin(d)-ˌchil\
Function: noun
Date: 1939
: a still-air temperature that would have the same cooling effect on exposed human skin as a given combination of temperature and wind speed —called also chill factor, windchill factor, windchill index

·
Banned
448 Posts
"Don't forget to used DISTILLED WATER in that 50/50 mix. Never use tap, rain or spring"
A 50/50 mix of antifreeze already has distilled water in it. Hence the 50/50 mix.
It's also good for -34 degrees.
You want to get anti-freeze without silicates in it. Any brand will do.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
No need to argue about the definition of wind chill......
If I am right...I'm not "arguing".... I'm "explaining" ;)

I think most of us understand windchill, Wolfie it seems believes the principle effects all matter...not just skin. That the metal on your car gets colder as you drive faster. (if I am following his poor examples here)
We know the exact opposite is true... The faster you go the more friction increases temps... If anything.

It us true that the air rushing past your radiator is cooling the water flowing inside... But it can't get it colder than whatever the ambient air tempature is....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts