Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder to those riding as it gets colder, tires are not going to grip when they are cold and the PSI will drop.
CHECK YOUR PSI!!
I ride home after second shift and it is 9pm the roads are cold and the bike is cold, Tires don't work as well till they warm up.
Be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I agree. I did 28 degrees two seasons ago. Babied it in the corners and below 65 mph.

DT

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thanks for the reminder...thats why my bike feels a little slippery the last few days...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Well...it is now in the 60-70's ....a cold snap. I can tell the slippery ness of the tires...and my pressure was down too!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well crap, how cold is it there?

Asphalt surface temps on a sunny day even it 38 degree temps can easily still hit 90.

It would take a 40 degree drop to lower tire pressure 1 pound..(Odds are your tire is at least one pound low right now as you read this....:motorcycl )

It some cases an asphalt road in cold temps provides better traction than a the same road in hot weather. Newer asphalt can get "soft" on a real hot day, and thus be a bit more slipperier.
Tires work best on a hard surface.

Oddly the most perfect road surface one could make that would provide the best traction for our rubber tires is............glass. A completely smooth sheet of glass could double the coeffient of friction on a car/bike tire over cement or asphalt.
The problem however is when wet, the reverse would be true. It be twice as slippery.

Tires on the other hand do need to warm up to reach their potential, so it still makes sence not to go balls out right off the bat , but to put a few miles in to warm the tire. But lap times in cold weather always seem to be better than when it is hot.

Its 72 degrees right now....perfect riding weather in my book... ;)

KM

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Well then maybe it was just the low pressure that made them squirrly. It reminded me of the time i did the spline lube and forgot to re air the rear tire...went for a test ride and up to 50 mph and it did seem a little fishy ....got back and found out it had less than 20lbs in the rear. Whew!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts