Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I braved the cold last night coming into work it was 44 degrees and it should be about 37 going home. I have around a 16 mile ride each way. My old gloves were useless in the cold, just about froze my fingers off last time going home around 43 degree's. Had to do something because I'm not ready to stop riding. Has anyone ever used Manzella gloves? I found these at my local sporting goods store (Shyda's clothing barn) and let me tell you, or let my fingers tell you, I love them so far. And they were a lot cheaper (1/2 the price) than some heavy cycle gloves I was looking at. They have a windstopper fabric along with insulation and water repellant. These combined with some Carhart flannel lined jeans and it was very comfortable riding last night. Looks like I might be riding into work for a couple more weeks......Hooray!!:beerchug:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've used my snowmobile gloves but they are pretty bulky and I don't like fumbling around with them. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
You can also buy some of those chemical packet hand-warmers and shove them in your gloves on top of your hand.
http://industrialsavings.com/hard-hats/ISG-HH10PK.html

works well if you find your gloves are failing you and you have alot of miles left to go...............

KM
That's what I do. So far, I've only put one in each hand, but with the wind hitting them at 70 mph, it's barely sufficient. Next time riding in the cold (below 30 degrees) I'll try two in each glove.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I have to get extra large....lots to put into those gloves.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
A lot of determining what you can do for your hands is how they do normally. My fingers are very slender, and probably don't have a lot of blood circulation. They're the first to get cold on me. I can't wear finger gloves for riding below 40 degrees. They just don't do anything to keep my fingers warm. I haven't even found mittens that will work without the chemical hand warmers.
I've always been jealous of the guys who can be out in 20 degree weather without gloves at all. Their hands seem to be warm all the time. Mine get stiff, and hard to function with much cold exposure. And to think I grew up in a cold climate - Northern Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I've always been jealous of the guys who can be out in 20 degree weather without gloves at all. Their hands seem to be warm all the time. Mine get stiff, and hard to function with much cold exposure. And to think I grew up in a cold climate - Northern Wisconsin.
There's a name for that medical condition, but it slips my mind right now. Affects folks to varying degrees....

Update: Raynaud's Syndrome http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/raynauds.html

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
There's a name for that medical condition, but it slips my mind right now. Affects folks to varying degrees....
Which condition? Mine, or the ones who have warm hands all the time?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Has anyone tried the gerbing heated gloves? My finger tips get ice cold with every pair of gloves I've tried - included some expensive Held gloves. I'm worried that the heat on the gerbing gloves will not reach my fingertips and therefore not really provide the benefit I'm looking for.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
I'm still on the fence. I've worn them once so far. It was in the low 30s and my fingers still got cold, but the gauntlet cuffs keep the wind from going up my sleeve and for the 20 minute commute it was really quite bearable.

I have a pair like that, and they are pretty useless under 55 degrees. They look good......but lack warmth. The Tourmaster gloves I linked to are ALOT warmer.

If you have poor circulation in your hands , you should really get heated gloves. There are some real good ones on the market. They have wiring in along both sides of the fingers so ,yes, they will keep your whole hand warm, including your little fingers.

As mentioned in one of the other posts on cold weather gear....installing a set of hand-guards can do alot for keeping your hands warm. Getting the oncoming blast of wind off your hands will make any glove warmer, and make heated gloves feel like pizza ovens.

There are also a few gloves made to be used with heated grips...they have thinner insulation in the palms so the grip heaters transfer more heat to your hand.

With all the technology we have now , it is silly to sit there and complain of cold hands while riding.

KM

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
IWith all the technology we have now , it is silly to sit there and complain of cold hands while riding. KM
Yep, all it takes is $$, KM. LOL

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
You're welcome. It took me a while to find a pair with the heating element running the full length of each finger. That's these and it's why they work IMHO.
Any idea on how long the batteries last? If I'm riding 4-5 hours in less than 40 degree weather, I need something to last.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts