Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone, I have a quick question rear coils firing I guess the spark looks good front coils no spark. they both have current going to them.
primary check ohm range front and back normal
secondary readings are as follows
front 31.7
rear 30.8
normal range should be between 19-29 is the 2 ohm difference a big deal and why if the is juice and readings not bad the front not firing? maybe someone can give me some help.
one more thing the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator cover to the 3 yellow wires by the rear coil if they are all yellow with no stripes just plug em in? or is there a sequence to them I am not seeing?

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Țhree yellow wires are interchangeable. No specific order. I'd bet you slimvulcanrider will pop up and chime in on your electrical issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Crowley I thought the yellows was self explanatory but figured I would ask any ways haha tomorrow I will get back into book again and see if I can check the other components what are the pulsers ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Try swapping your coils front to rear.

Or run a power wire straight from the battery to the front coil positive terminal.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Maybe something to do with your pulsers.
thanks Crowley I thought the yellows was self explanatory but figured I would ask any ways haha tomorrow I will get back into book again and see if I can check the other components what are the pulsers ?

He is referring to the pick-up coils mounted @ 0.020 " from your rotating flywheel(thanks crowley).

:smiley_th

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
On left side of vehicle, there is a cover where the three yellow wires come out. It's held by three screws. Behind that, you have the pulsers. They are two little square boxes that are held in at about 9 o clock and 11 o clock. The function of these (I believe) is to transfer energy from the rotor to the flywheel. If one of those is shot, you won't get spark. Swapping the coils would tell you if the coils are good or not.

·
4,508 Posts
On left side of vehicle, there is a cover where the three yellow wires come out. It's held by three screws. Behind that, you have the pulsers. They are two little square boxes that are held in at about 9 o clock and 11 o clock. The function of these (I believe) is to transfer energy from the rotor to the flywheel. If one of those is shot, you won't get spark. Swapping the coils would tell you if the coils are good or not.
Be aware, if troulble shooting using this method, physically moving/swapping them without changing the electrical hook-ups....will not work (bike will not run ...spark timing changed).
In other words, you must change the electrical connections as well when performing the physical swap.
hth

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
William - if coil one fires and coil two does not... Leave the plugs and wires attached and switch the coils (the two leads at each coil, moving them to the other coil) - I thought that if the pulser was the issue, it would fire coil 2 but not coil 1

·
4,508 Posts
William - if coil one fires and coil two does not... Leave the plugs and wires attached and switch the coils (the two leads at each coil, moving them to the other coil) - I thought that if the pulser was the issue, it would fire coil 2 but not coil 1
...swap coils physically....thus proving both coils are good. :doh:

I was speaking of the pick-up coils in previous post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guys this makes perfect sense although the pulsers you call them looked good does not meen they could be bad and physically swapping the coils front to back makes sense to see if the front works on the rear. will dig into it again tomorrow although I wanna ride I still taking my time and not getting hasty. thanks every one I will give a verdict in as soon as I figure it out

·
Registered
468 Posts
if you do anything with the pulsers be very careful the wires break off really easy. found out the hard way after 2 sets.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
guys this makes perfect sense although the pulsers you call them looked good does not meen they could be bad and physically swapping the coils front to back makes sense to see if the front works on the rear. will dig into it again tomorrow although I wanna ride I still taking my time and not getting hasty. thanks every one I will give a verdict in as soon as I figure it out
Send me an email... And we will talk tomorrow...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts