Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, my bike started making a noise at the end of last fall on cold starts when i let out the clutch to start off in first gear, took my bike out this year and she is still doing the same thing for the first few kinutes after cold statt she makes wheird noise when letting out the clutch to start off, i read a couple of forums on here about it and people calling it the coffee grinder noise, what im wondering is it something i should be worried about??, and i read that people drilled holes in their clutch basket to fix it but i didnt see any pictures of the clutch basket with it done is there a wtiye up on it with pictures?

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
In theory it isn’t hurting the bike. Try pulling the clutch lever in (and out) several times while the motor warms up, as this seems to lessen the noises)
There’s a drawing somewhere showing how to drill the basket although I don’t recall anyone posting a photo of theirs after they did it.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
There was a thread or two with pics but the pics are gone.

The holes are drilled in a spiral pattern, each hole slightly offset from the next.

CG on mine is bad enough to put me on my back in the middle of the road. But as long as I actuate the clutch a few times before taking off the first time on a cold start it's fine.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Pump the clutch lever repeatedly before taking off on colder days. I also found that better quality oil will lessens it as well but pumping the clutch and letting it warm up is really all you need to do.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Pump the clutch lever repeatedly before taking off on colder days. I also found that better quality oil will lessens it as well but pumping the clutch and letting it warm up is really all you need to do.
Yep, I'll move the clutch lever in neutral a few times, plunk it into gear and just lightly engage the clutch a couple of times. Get that first little stickiness over with and it's good until it cools down again.

Mine was ridden across town then parked a couple of hours. When I left I got coffee grindered right flat on my back in the middle of the street in front of the girl's basketball team. Extended sissy bar smacked me square in the back and sheared a couple of bolts off it. Hmm, maybe that's why I had back surgery. Ouch!

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
i found this picture on google is this what im suppose to do to stop the noise from happening
That's it. From reading some threads last night, it looks like 3/16" holes are more successful than 1/16".

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
I posted the photo here for future reference :

1 - 10 of 10 Posts