Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running Shell Rotella-T Full Synthetic 5W-40 past two oil changes and still had a noticeable coffee grinder noise before oil fully warmed up. Clearly better than non-synthetic days, but noticeable.
I just switched to the new replacement...Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40...and immediately noticed a difference....much smoother out of the chute while still cold. It's still not completely gone but enough I noticed the difference and thought you'd like to know.

Fergy probably knows why :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Been running Shell Rotella-T Full Synthetic 5W-40 past two oil changes and still had a noticeable coffee grinder noise before oil fully warmed up. Clearly better than non-synthetic days, but noticeable.
I just switched to the new replacement...Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40...and immediately noticed a difference....much smoother out of the chute while still cold. It's still not completely gone but enough I noticed the difference and thought you'd like to know.

I had similar results going from semi-synth to full-synth Castrol. Full-synth Castrol (which for Castrol is just a better semi-synth really) resulted in smoother shifting and much less coffee grinder issues. Maybe the full-synths drain out of the clutch basket more completely than dyno or semi-synth (guesing here).

·
2,519 Posts
I use the Castrol Synth also and notice a big difference.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts

Not necessarily! I know all the current Rotella 5w40 synthetic and 15w40 dyno oils now are JASO MA rated, but I figured it was only because they tested for certification with their same formulas. Could be they have changed the additives as well???

I was getting my oil changed in the Acadia last night and the tech was stammering around when I asked for the Rotella 15w40 (they didn't have any rotella t6 in stock) and he asked me if the Acadia was a diesel. I had him go get a bottle and I was showing him all the certifications on it and telling him what they stood for. Don't know if I "converted" him but at least he's more informed. :rockon:

Local Wally world seems not to be carrying the T6. I'm gona have to do some shopping around I guess. Anyone else having problems finding the T6?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Or you could put the barnett clutch kit in and eliminate the grinding!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts