Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my 2002, the clutch would make the "coffee grinder" noise when I first took off in the morning.

I tried many different types of engine oil including full synthetic to try and get rid of this problem and nothing seemed to work........until I tried my old stand by oil. Castrol GTX 20-50!!!

Don't know why I did not do it before cause that is all I have used in all of my flattrack bikes for years.

No more clutch noise and shifts butter smooth!!!:smiley_th

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
That's good man. I tried castrol in mine before and it didn't get rid of it :(. Unfortunately it seems that each bike is different, maybe because of what was used in the engine previously I don't know. I deal with mine but sometimes I forget and it is embarrassing at times lol. Maybe I'll try it again and run 20-50 since I've only run 10-40 in it. 20-50 is a little thicker so I thought if anything it would add to the problem but again, I'm open to finding myself corrected. Especially if it means a smoother clutch :) take care.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'd be surprised if 20-50 oil doesn't get you a heavy, sluggish feeling clutch and harder starts in cool weather up where you are in Boston! I tried 20w50 early one July in NYC and went right back to 10w40 by mid September. Heck, I usually go to the Rotella T Synth 5w40 in October/November and 10w40 in April.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
When I first got my 2002, the clutch would make the "coffee grinder" noise when I first took off in the morning.

I tried many different types of engine oil including full synthetic to try and get rid of this problem and nothing seemed to work........until I tried my old stand by oil. Castrol GTX 20-50!!!

Don't know why I did not do it before cause that is all I have used in all of my flattrack bikes for years.

No more clutch noise and shifts butter smooth!!!:smiley_th
I have the same good results with 20-50. I had to pull the synthetic after one day, bike was noisier, shifted harder, and ran hotter. I like Valvoline 20-50 Motorcycle Oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts