Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know that if you are, and you probably are, having coffee grinder noises accompanied with clutch grabbiness/chatter with a cold engine, drill the clutch basket. I did mine last night and you would not believe the difference. It actually feels like a working clutch again. I started it up earlier and took off after about 20 seconds and took off pretty hard and lo and behold it didn't try to jerk me off the bike. I would highly recommend this as a 1st mod to do on these bikes as it is a safety issue to me. There had been many times when I felt like I was close to losing control when taking off cold, especially trying to make a u-turn from a standstill. Plus this is a fairly easy mod; took me about an hour and a half from start to finish. Just figured I would provide some insight about this since there seems to be little documented about the success of this mod. Happy riding!

·
Banned
431 Posts
Yeah, can't remember seeing a solution to this problem... other than letting the bike warm up; interesting post, more details please.

·
Banned
431 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
That's very interesting, I may have to try that. I hate that grinding grab when I first get going.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
It has solved mine 100%. Not even the slightest hint of grabbing anymore.
Can you get to this just via the clutch cover?

I just put my engine back in, and it is not coming back out. LOL.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Bat is correct, the clutch housing can be taken out with just the clutch cover taken off. :smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Bat is correct, the clutch housing can be taken out with just the clutch cover taken off. :smiley_th
:smiley_th At least Kawa did one thing right.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Can it be taken out without draining all the oil?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Can it be taken out without draining all the oil?
I don`t know for sure, but it "probably" can if the bike is on the sidestand.
All the oil would be running down into the left side of rhe crankcase.

For the small amount of time and trouble it is, I would drain the oil to save cleanup, "just in case". :(

If the oil is fresh and you don`t want to throw it out yet, just make sure the catch pan is clean and pour it back in the engine when finished with the clutch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
1. Why does drilling the basket help?

2. Anyone live near Galesburg, IL and want to get together to work on this? I don't recall having it on my prior VN, but my current one has it bad.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
1. Why does drilling the basket help?

2. Anyone live near Galesburg, IL and want to get together to work on this? I don't recall having it on my prior VN, but my current one has it bad.
The answer to your first question is that it supposed lets oil that is sticking on the clutch plates drain out of the basket and allow them to slip freely with the clutch disengaged(handle pulled in).There have been people report mixed results, some it helped others say they can't tell any difference.I never did experience the problem or do this mod,so I can't say one way or the other.

#2. I live in Ky, can't help you,LOL

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Looks like I'm wrenching on the bike this weekend. :smiley_th

·
Registered
441 Posts
I understand the idea that the noise is worse when cold. Also, my seemed to be a little better after my recent oil change but, when or what is warm to where you don't have the grind. I'm usually driving a good 10 minutes through town with several stops before its gone. Now once its gone, its gone and I dont hear it again until its good and cold again. Just wondering what's warm enough for the coffee grinder to go away

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand the idea that the noise is worse when cold. Also, my seemed to be a little better after my recent oil change but, when or what is warm to where you don't have the grind. I'm usually driving a good 10 minutes through town with several stops before its gone. Now once its gone, its gone and I dont hear it again until its good and cold again. Just wondering what's warm enough for the coffee grinder to go away
The way I understand it is when the oil is cold it is thick and has a hard time getting out of the clutch basket and therefore causing the coffee grinder experience. Upon heating up the oil is much thinner and tends not to pool up or hang around inside the clutch basket. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but that's the way I see it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts