Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all:

Just wanted to add my .01 cents worth on the cobra exhaust.

My 95 Vn750 came completely stock when I bought it. My riding style is a bit on the higher RPM range (5k-7k) as I really enjoy the "zippyness" of this ride, so your opinions may vary depending on how you ride.

First thing I did was remove the baffles from the stock mufflers. That helped with the tone of the bike but not much in performance.

I then removed the goat's belly and I definitely felt a big difference in the high RPM ranges. Removal of the belly was also accompanied by a set of turned out mufflers with the baffles removed. Left side had a 13" and right ended up with a 19" long mufflers.

All along, I really wanted to Cobra one sided exhaust as this would then allow the rear cylinder the same "length" output as the front cyl.

Thanks to six6six, I finally got my hands on a set of the cobra exhaust. Took a bit of cleanup and some adjusting to get them on the bike and out for a spin. Took it out last night. Although I don't mind the sound (kind of quiet for me), the loss in performance was very disappointing. I'll be drilling them out soon as best as I can as they are also turned out tips making it difficult to reach in. Here's some pics for you to enjoy.

As I got them with one muffler cleaned up a bit

Left side with the stock heat shield installed.

Right side, All done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What seat do you have on there? I like what you've done to the bike!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What seat do you have on there? I like what you've done to the bike!
Thanks Dev. Appreciate the complement. I found a used seat at a local motorcycle graveyard, cut it down, re-upholstered it and modified mounting brackets myself. Couldn't even tell you what the seat came off of. I was only looking for the size and seat pan to fit what I was envisioning.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clock: They were already turned out to 2.5 cuz of the old debaffled mufflers. I had to turned them back in to about 2 1/4 turns for the front and about 2 for the back. Front would backfire at 2 turns.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I was really happy with mine. While I don't think I saw any real power gains, there wasn't any noticeable loss either.

Got them more for the looks and sound anyway.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
When I put Cobras on my VN I noticed a loss in low end. After doing the ear shave and upping the jets, the low end returned and I was happy with the smoothness and power band. lphernan, you do good work - give your bike the ear shave and 142/42 jets(or 144 mains for riding in the upper RPM range) I think you will be happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts