Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What products can I use to coat the inside of the fuel tank? I'd like a rustproof coating that will last a while and will be somewhat easy to apply.. thanks!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
All my riding buddies (long time riders themselves) highly recommend against useing any type of coating for inside the tanks. If you were to think about their reasoning, it totaly makes sense. "You really think that those coatings wont flake and peal and when they do where will the pieces wind up going? Your carbs thats where!" So if youre looking to remove rust then go with the rust removal chemicals but avoid useing a sealer if at all possible. Anyways the two major sealers are Kreem or POR-15.

Peace :beerchug:

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I agree with not using a coating. My bike is a 93 that sat with a partial tank of gas for over 10 years. It was a mess inside. I used POR-15 rust remover to clean the tank, pressure washed it inside a half dozen times and it now looks brand new inside. No rust! I fill up after each ride to keep it full and run seafoam in every tank. While I'm far from an expert, I've done a lot of reading on the subject and this seems to be the consensus.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok.. I jsut never did anything with the tank for winterizing.. I have it in my apartment almost empty.. I will just put it back on, fill er up, adn add seafoam this week or whenever I get the chance... Hopefully before February, lol..

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
To minimize the possibility of crud getting to the carbs (PO had tank lined) I added very small inline filters to both fuel lines. It's good insurance things won't get where they shouldn't be.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
What products can I use to coat the inside of the fuel tank? I'd like a rustproof coating that will last a while and will be somewhat easy to apply.. thanks!
Check the verses under fuel and carbs section. There are 2 articles on rust in the tank. The second article describes a method using electolosis to convert any rust into an inert material. The required materials are a battery charger, a steel bolt, a piece of wire and some swimming pool chemicals. I have not used this, but it is an interesting read. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts