Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I am a rookie, but I have no idea what coasters are. I am not sure if it is something that I need or not. I recently ordered K&N filters to put directly on the carb and am trying to figure out what coasters are so I can determine if it is neccessary. Any you you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated. I love this site it is extremly helpful.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Coastering or marbleing is a term used for blocking off the fresh air intakes to the read valves. On the front cylinder on the right side of the bike behind the ear is one and on rear cylinder, left side of bike just under tank in front of seat. There is a wright up of the procedure in the versus. Also when you do this turn the air/fuel screws out to 2.5 turns.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
So I know I am a rookie, but I have no idea what coasters are. I am not sure if it is something that I need or not....
"Coasters" are flat plates that replace the reed valves on the engine. This is done for three reasons.....
1: to reduce/eliminate popping on deceleration
2: to clean-up the appearance of the bike
3: get rid of emissions controls

Here is a pic of the rear coaster on my bike:

·
Registered
900 Posts
"Coasters" are flat plates that replace the reed valves on the engine. This is done for three reasons.....
1: to reduce/eliminate popping on deceleration
2: to clean-up the appearance of the bike
3: get rid of emissions controls

Here is a pic of the rear coaster on my bike:

man you spent some time makeing that thing shine! bravo!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Thanks!
(The coasters are sandblasted aluminum flat stock)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I removed all the parts of the POS air injection system, but did not install coasters (yet). I left the stock plates on there, and capped them off with heater hose connection caps from Pep Boys. They work fine, and only cost about $2. Coasters do look better though. You need to remove the complete system, including the 2 large diameter hoses that go to where the coasters are designed to cover, the 3 way valve, and the hose going to the airbox. You will also need to plug the fitting on the rear carburetor. If you are going with individual filters, I would have just ordered the "earshave" kit, which comes with filters, and new carb jets (you will have to rejet the carbs for the new filters). once you've gone that far, you might as well go ahead and remove the airbox completely, and install a filter on the crankcase vent hose. You can get rid of a whole lot of parts that way. Simple is good. I like simple. I would do this myself if I could get individual filters that I thought would work as well at removing dirt from the intake air as the stock filters do. But to me, "filters that flow more air also flow more dirt". Jerry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts