Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Vulcan, this is my second year with it. Rode a little over 5000 miles last year with no trouble. Replaced the battery this year, and rode twice so far. Went out to ride yesterday and shifted into 1st and the bike won't move. It starts reves, can shift in all gears with no problem, but just won't move.
Any advice??? I can't get it to a mechanic and honestly hate to have to pay through the nose if I can figure it out myself.
Thanks
Cyndy
:)

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
have you lubed the driveshaft splines since you've had the bike

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Ok, I see 2 possible problems. Either the clutch is not engaging, or the final drive splines have stripped out. I hope it is the clutch, but in all likelihood it is the final drive splines. Don't take the bike to a shop yet. They will just rip you off. We can help you find the problem and hopefully fix it. I have to get back to work, I will repost later. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Cyndy, do you hear any unusual noise when you engage the clutch and give it some throttle? Usually blown splines make a bit of noise like a bucket of nuts rattling around when the clutch is engaged.

You said you could shift into all gears, which alone is unusual since the bike usually won't shift into anything but first neutral and sometimes second gear when you're sitting still. This puzzles me, but I guess if the drive line is turning you could potentially shift into all gears... Sure sounds like final drive splines...:(

But, like those above stated, don't take it to a shop! We can help you. Look at the spline lube procedure below in my sig. This is where you need to look first, in my opinion. If it is stripped, then we need to help you find the final drive and coupler you will need to repair it. I fixed mine for around $100. A shop will want to charge you $1000 + for it, if it is the splines. My 2002 ended up wearing a final drive from an 86 that was still like new... Just don't panic. We're here to help you!

·
2,519 Posts
When you pull in the clutch, could you see down to where it connects by the kick stand if the little arm that engagues the clutch is moving back and forth? I just had to replace my cluth cable and maybe the cable froze up and it is pulled in now and won't release?

Reactions: niterider

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have to agree, it's probably the splines. I can't see any other way you could shift in to all gears sitting still, unless somthin broke in the shift rod assy. Never fear we got mad skillz here ;)

btw: where are you located? Sometimes an experianced ear is quicker than a whole lot of posts...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts