Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding my 750 around for a week now. It's a 2006 with a LOT of miles on it. (almost 50k if the odometer is correct) Everything has been fine until this morning. This morning i forgot to switch the fuel back and and got to 1 stop sign before the bike shut off. No problem. Flipped the switch and off i went. I realized i left my work truck key at home so i turned back 45 seconds later. Total drive time 3 min. Grabbed what i needed and off i tried to go. Started up no problem. Let off the clutch gently and stall. Figured operator error so i tried again. stall. Happened repeatedly and i was unable to leave my driveway. Shifted up and down, to neutral and back. toggled the clutch a few times thinking something was stuck. Kept happening.

Went inside tried to look up the issue, found nothing, Came back out 10 min later. This time it worked fine. The bike has been fine all day since.

What am i missing?

p.s. I'm not too worried about the high mileage as i've done the majority of all my auto work myself for my other vehicles. This is my first bike and i'm excited to get my hands dirty and tinker this thing.

Mike

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
bad side stand switch? if the bike keeps running in nuetral with clutch lever released, thats the likely culprit
So what is supposed to happen is the bike stalls if the kickstand is down when you try to engage the clutch as a safety feature? So his bike thinks the kickstand is still down...

·
4,508 Posts
So what is supposed to happen is the bike stalls if the kickstand is down when you try to engage the clutch as a safety feature? So his bike thinks the kickstand is still down...
Yes, .....the safety feature engaged.

:smiley_th

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Yes, .....the safety feature engaged.

Ok, now when I have the kickstand up and I engage first gear and turn the throttle counter clockwise in an aggressive manner, my bike shoots forward at an alarming rate. If I then, in succession, engage another four gears while alternately engage the clutch and turning the accelerator, I sometimes find myself going 70 or 80 miles an hour and the bike WILL NOT slow down until I turn the throttle clockwise again. Is this normal or is the safety feature broken?

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Ok, now when I have the kickstand up and I engage first gear and turn the throttle counter clockwise in an aggressive manner, my bike shoots forward at an alarming rate. If I then, in succession, engage another four gears while alternately engage the clutch and turning the accelerator, I sometimes find myself going 70 or 80 miles an hour and the bike WILL NOT slow down until I turn the throttle clockwise again. Is this normal or is the safety feature broken?
That's how it's supposed to work. Get up to 80mph and reach down with your foot and put the sidestand down while holding the throttle at 80 and tell us what happens.

I'm however not sure how the switch could stick "open" with the sidestand up.....that's why I suggested he just forgot to raise it all the way when the bike kept dying on him...;)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Sounds like a loose nut behind the gas tank;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
4,508 Posts
LMAO !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts