Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey y'all my 2003 vulcan is having some clutch slipping problems. Ive noticed that whenever it happens the clutch lever has a lot more play in it than normal and i cant accelerate. If i try it just slips and revs the engine. So my question is should i lube the cable? If yes, what should i use? Or should i just replace it. If yes please give me your suggestions on cable brands that might hold up better than stock.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out.

When are you noticing the slipping? Does it matter what gear you're in? Normally when the clutch itself goes bad you don't notice any difference in the lower gears (at first anyway). It'll slip at first in 4th or 5th gear.

If it is just the cable, I would go with stock. That's what I did with mine when the adjuster nut broke. Only reason I'd go with aftermarket is if I happened to find a good deal or if I was gonna change out the bars and needed more length or something.

GDI

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Are you using motorcycle specific oil?

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: GDI

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out.

When are you noticing the slipping? Does it matter what gear you're in? Normally when the clutch itself goes bad you don't notice any difference in the lower gears (at first anyway). It'll slip at first in 4th or 5th gear.

If it is just the cable, I would go with stock. That's what I did with mine when the adjuster nut broke. Only reason I'd go with aftermarket is if I happened to find a good deal or if I was gonna change out the bars and needed more length or something.

GDI
When it happens it normally happens in all 5 gears. But is only really noticeable in the higher rpm range or when you try to accelerate. (like merging onto a 65 mph highway)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Check your adjustment and cable. If you have no more room for adjustment you can pull the arm that the cable fits into and move it one spline on the shaft and get a few more miles our of it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your adjustment and cable. If you have no more room for adjustment you can pull the arm that the cable fits into and move it one spline on the shaft and get a few more miles our of it

my brother recently helped me adjust it out and from what I remember its already at its farthest point so no more regular adjustment for it right now. would it be better to replace the cable at this point?

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
GDI wrote - "Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out."

This was my thought too. The lever play shouldn't change unless something is binding up somewhere. Had the same issue myself....and 20 miles later the cable broke. Lotsa fun riding 40 miles home, in the rain, through traffic, without a clutch :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GDI wrote - "Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out."

This was my thought too. The lever play shouldn't change unless something is binding up somewhere. Had the same issue myself....and 20 miles later the cable broke. Lotsa fun riding 40 miles home, in the rain, through traffic, without a clutch :(
so it shouldn't be the clutch itself right? this should just be a cable issue?

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Well hopefully. I'd check there first. There could be something binding somewhere farther down but you have to eliminate the cable before you go further.
The clutch cable ends at another lever on the motor. There's a spring there, and of course there are the springs in the clutch plates. Far more likely the cable is faulty before those others fail....

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
yea, actual clutch failures (other than coffee grinder syndrome) are pretty rare on these bikes.

I would suspect cable first.

good news is that if the clutch is worn out, it IS an easy replacement

·
Registered
170 Posts
My opinion is that an actual clutch failure would be pretty unlikely. I used to have a 1400 Intruder, and that bike was known to have lots of clutch "failures". The root cause was that the clutch springs were too weak. That 1400 was really torquey, which certainly didn't help! There was a guy selling aftermarket springs that fixed the problem. Most everybody(?) could just replace the springs, and that was all it took to fix it. I bought mine with a slipping clutch knowing about the aftermarket springs that were available. It's hard to say how long the clutch had been slipping, and all it took was the springs. . . . Considering the abuse that clutches go through on bikes like that it seems to me that normal wear on this bike is just no comparison!

GDI

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more question. Were do y'all guys suggest i buy a new clutch cable from (or any other replacement parts i may need in the future)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Could also be the splines in the driveshaft...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been buying online from Partzilla, but don't know as I'd recommend them. Seems kinda slow at times, and prices are just OK. Some orders have taken a full 2 weeks. They're half-way across the country from me, but I've gotten spoiled by much better service other places.

If it's just a common part that's available, I just do Ebay. Prices are as good as anywhere, and they'll usually estimate how long it will take to deliver.

GDI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts