Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Clutch shot

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  DMAG 
#1 ·
Rode Priscilla into work today...her first real ride this year.

When first starting out (cold) the clutch was "ok"....but once I reached highway speeds she would hardly hold 65 mph without the clutch slipping and grabbing suddenly. Once I got off the parkway, it slipped horribly in every gear.

Kinda embarassing since my V&H's REALLY accentuate the high RPMs when it slipped.

Time for a new clutch I guess. :doh:

Opinions on a new clutch? Easy job?

#2 ·
I thought I was going to have to replace my clutch, but it was just glazed, the job itself is probly the most straight forward job I have ever seen/read a few bolts and its done!, the enging can stay in frame, and I was also told the exhaust can even stay in place, but I would remove it anyway ~clutch side~, good luck.

#3 ·
#4 ·
How many miles on Priscilla? Double check the clutch adjustment (there are 2 different places to adjust the clutch). But if you smoked the clutch then I think even after adjusting, the clutch can't be saved.

#5 ·
Loran in Npvl IL said:
How many miles on Priscilla? Double check the clutch adjustment (there are 2 different places to adjust the clutch). But if you smoked the clutch then I think even after adjusting, the clutch can't be saved.
Speedo says 27,000....but who knows? I had to replace the speedo cable when I got her so previous owner could've rode many miles without recording the miles. (I bought it off someone who bought it off someone, etc... no history)

Thanks for the link Dianna. Looks to be pretty easy. I have a new clutch cable as well...might as well do 'em both now.

#6 ·
I read through the Verses regarding the clutches and saw a couple of recommendations. Anyone have any of their own recommendations on what clutch to buy? Also, can I just buy frictions or do I have to replace the prings as well?

Thanks!

#8 ·
The EBC Kevlar clutch KIT: http://tinyurl.com/e3x6h includes the friction plates and springs.
Kevlar paper-lined plate set, complete with heavy-duty clutch springs
Use in production-based race bikes and heavy sport bikes
SRC kits have higher heat resistance and longer plate life
SRC kits have a more aggressive/faster clutch takeup than the CK Standard series clutch kits
In fact you get one extra spring. These are the heavier springs then the OEMs.
Should be everything you need as long as the steel plates aren't scored.
The clutch takes 8 friction plates, 7 steel (smooth surface plates) and 5 springs. Steel plates are usually reused.

#9 ·
Dianna said:
The EBC Kevlar clutch KIT: http://tinyurl.com/e3x6h includes the friction plates and springs.
Kevlar paper-lined plate set, complete with heavy-duty clutch springs
Use in production-based race bikes and heavy sport bikes
SRC kits have higher heat resistance and longer plate life
SRC kits have a more aggressive/faster clutch takeup than the CK Standard series clutch kits
In fact you get one extra spring. These are the heavier springs then the OEMs.
Should be everything you need as long as the steel plates aren't scored.
The clutch takes 8 friction plates, 7 steel (smooth surface plates) and 5 springs. Steel plates are usually reused.
Thank you mucho Dianna...Looks like that's what I'm getting. Anyone have experience using this clutch? I understand the frictions are pretty easy to replace. How about the springs?

#10 ·
The hardest part of the whole job is cleaning off the old gasket.
The bolts holding the springs break loose fairly easy and I just took them off and put them back on in a star pattern. Once the bolt loosens the springs are easy to get to and pull out. I used a dental pick to get the friction plates and steel plates out. The first few ones you can do with your fingers. As you get deeper into the basket though you will need a pick or something similar to grab the plate and ease it out of the basket.
A friction plate will be the first and last one out.

#11 ·
Hi there.

I had a problem with my clutch about a year ago. It was the second thing I fixed on the bike - after replacing the burst oil filter that caused the problem (see thread here)

To protect your nice clean pipes from dirty oil, cover them in tin foil first. I only replaced the friction plates but I think replacing the steels and springs would have been just as easy too.

Scot

#13 · (Edited)
DMAG said:
I got the EBC Kevlar clutch KIT in the mail this past week. Hope to get the job done this weekend.
Can you believe that two months later...I still haven't had a chance to get this done? :loser1: :loser1:

I've been traveling so much for work and getting our place sold and buying a new place that I've had NO motorcycle fun this entire summer. What a waste!

I need to get my bum next to that bike and get that clutch DONE!!!

Motivation Motivation Motivation Motivation Motivation

#14 ·
I think you mean that you HAVEN'T had motorcycle fun this summer, right?

On a side note, you need to get Fergy's spline lube procedures up on our maintenance links.

#15 ·
cegodsey said:
I think you mean that you HAVEN'T had motorcycle fun this summer, right?

On a side note, you need to get Fergy's spline lube procedures up on our maintenance links.
Egggssss----zactly! (Edited above post)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.