Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 kawasaki vulcan 750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm changing my clutch handle assembly on my 1999 vulcan 750 and got a aftermarket clutch handle and mount. When I unplugged my clutch safety switch I noticed it was a 3 wire my aftermarket is a 2 wire. According to the wiring manual in my Clymer B/Y and Y/G is pulled in, G and Y/G is released. If I wire B/Y and Y/G to my 2 wire clutch safety switch will it work as you have to pull the clutch to start? Also I noticed the G connects to the neutral indicator light, is that no longer going to work or will it effect it at all?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That 3-wire clutch switch is at the heart of the bike's starter lockout and interlock circuits. You can splice them, but you're going to see some weirdness with the neutral light.

Spliced, the functionality of the clutch lever would be:
1. Pulled - The neutral light would come on even if the transmission was not in neutral, and the bike lockouts will think that both the clutch is pulled and the transmission is in neutral. The engine would start in any gear (which doesn't matter since your clutch is pulled, but could lead to a surprise if you think you're in neutral but you're in 1st), and the bike would not die if the kickstand is down (until you release the clutch. this is standard behavior).

1. Released - (the standard switch shorts the two leads when released, so this is all exactly the same) The bike would rely on the neutral switch for some of the lockout stuff. The bike would only start if the bike was in neutral, but not if it is in gear. A running bike would die any time the kickstand is down and the bike is not in neutral.

The 2-wire mod is somewhat related and is bound to get mentioned, but it deals primarily with bypassing the starter relay lockout, and the clutch switch will still be part of the interlock after performing that mod, so it doesn't do you much good with regards to your neutral light going wonky after splicing the wires at your clutch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, I had the same issue kind…. I had order a pair of new levers mostly because I had a bad master cylinder and I wanted to change the look too. The new came with only two prong instead of three. After reading here a lot and after trying by myself my choices I end up using the 2 wires only. Of course I had to choose what I need to bypass basically, but I didn’t have any problems.
That was for a bit though, because that master cylinder was a little messed up and cheap, so I went with a different one, that looks a lot like the original, didn’t fit the new lever only, so I changed back to the original clutch.
I wouldn’t mind keeping it like this, but I wouldn’t go with the spliced wire, mostly because of the false light, etc.

·
Registered
1999 kawasaki vulcan 750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info thorn. That’s the same reason I’m changing both my clutch and brake master kostamos my clutch has a slight bend and my master is shot. So I just wanted to change them both to be consistent and help with my slight modernation project I’m doing with my 750.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts