Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with 20,000 miles approaching and the annoying and almost persistent coffee grinder noise (no matter what oil I tried), I'm thinking about putting in a new clutch at the end of the season. So anyone have some suggestions where to buy and what brands are out there? It doesn't slip at all, I'm just tired of dealing with it for the 1st mile or so....

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
mine is fine when it is cold but begins to slip when it gets hot. so i feel your pain

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Have you tried the hole drilling solution? Think it's in the Verses.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Drilling a specific series of holes in the clutch basket is Kawasaki's solution, but there is an aftermarket Kevlar clutch with will also do the job. Search the forum for product number.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I installed the clutch kit from EBC, I believe. One of the best investments I've made in the bike. Very, very slight coffee grinder, but that's it. No more buckin' bronco on cold mornings. I think that the part number is SRC 53. I got it from Ron Ayers. Installation was a piece of cake.

--FA

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I did the barnett clutch kit. No grinder sound. It seems to work great.

·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the barnett clutch kit. No grinder sound. It seems to work great.
I was looking at that and it says not to use with synthetic oil, so I would have to change again.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I didn't know that. I use Castrol GTX 20-50 Dyno. or rotella 15-40

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was looking at that and it says not to use with synthetic oil, so I would have to change again.
From the Barnett Website;
"All Barnett wet clutches are designed to be used with synthetic or petroleum based oils. "​
Call the manufacture to confirm that the one designed for the VN750 is not somehow different. Let the group know the results, if you call.

Barnett Tool & Engineering
2238 Palma Drive
Ventura, CA 93003

Phone : (805) 642-9435
Fax : (805) 642-9436
E-mail :
* Clutch tech inquiries: [email protected]

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine was making the famous coffee grinder noise but since I don't like coffee, I installed this EBC clutch. I've been using it for about two years now and I couldn't be happier! This clutch has a very positive feel yet is also nice and smooth. So, shark, if you haven't purchased one yet....I highly recommend the EBC Kevlar setup.....I just use regular 10w40 motorcycle oil though.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
That is the same set I posted earlier except the one I posted has the steel separator plates also. SRC part number has frictions and heavier duty springs SRK part number has frictions, steels, and springs. A full clutch kit IMO, and is still less than $200.00 US.

·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said, this will more than likely be a "Winter" project. Don't feel like drilling holes in anything, so the replacement sounds like the way to go. I also feel some slipage sometimes when I really get on it and I'm in the power band. I guess the Barnet and the EBC are the most common one's I see listed. If I see anyone running a special on them, I'll be sure to pick one up sooner. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts